 Off-Topic / Geek / 4844
    Re: Tanks or Power Armor —John T. Jensen
   I believe that tanks will stay in service, but will eventually face competition from PA. Many people have justified that the size of MECHA will keep tanks in service, bypassing the issue that even the modern PA is still roughly human sized. While a (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

        Re: Tanks or Power Armor —David Laswell
   (...) Okay, now you're just fantasizing. A human-sized PA would probably weigh at least half a ton, so it'd need a huge boost to get off the ground. To get enough boost for airlift that doesn't look sluggish, you're probably looking at having to (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

        Re: Tanks or Power Armor —John T. Jensen
   Dude, one ton? I'm not even considdering using enough armor to withstand an artillery or missle barrage. That's way to inconcieveable. That kind of PA wouldn't be woth the trouble. Lightweight, durable materials like carbon fiber, magnesium alloys, (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

        Re: Tanks or Power Armor —David Laswell
     (...) Half of that. 1000 pounds. Think "compact car", or 1/10th of a Hummer, if you prefer. Consider the various systems that would have to be strapped onto the pilot. You start out with a frame designed to fit around a human body. You'd need (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

        Re: Tanks or Power Armor —Bram Lambrecht
   (...) We're working on it: (URL) Project> The current powered exos in the lab weigh about 100 lb apiece and can carry a payload of over 70 lbs, but mobility is still rather limited. --Bram (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

        Re: Tanks or Power Armor —David Laswell
   (...) I think I saw that briefly on Scientific American Frontiers a while back. Still, even if you were wearing full combat body armor with that strapped on top, all it would take was one shot to the battery to render it useless (and if they're able (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

        Re: Tanks or Power Armor —Niels Bugge
   (...) A shot to the head will do pretty much the same thing ;-) But seriously, it still need some powersource and a lot of logistics, I read somewhere that in Operation Iraqi Liberation, one of the problems were the to acquire enough batteries for (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)