 Off-Topic / Fun / 5067
Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:27:12 GMT

As I've said before, no one has a right not to be offended...

He-hee!  I think I misread this the first time you mentioned it, and I was
really confused.  I thought: "Gee, I'm 'not offended' many times a day--I'd
hate for someone to take that away from me!"
**grammar geek warning***
I suppose I was failing to identify your transitive use of "offended," • seeing
it instead as reflexive.  8^)

Point taken, that isn't the greatest construct, is it?

Can you offer a rewrite that conveys the desired meaning (there may be things
that you find offensive out there, and if you encounter them, you might indeed
be offended by them, but as long as no one else is having their rights
violated, you aren't either and if you take offense, that's your
business/problem, not a metric that everyone else has to heed so that you get
to go through life without ever being offended by anything... <whew>)

++Lar

FUT lugnet.off-topic.geek.grammar (if we had one)
FUT lugnet.off-topic.fun (actually)