 Off-Topic / Debate / 5287
Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:03:39 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl mentioned:

albino left-handed atheists who live in Antarctica

Side rant, triggered by Tom's casual example, but not having much
relevance to the current thread (hey, this is .o-t):

As I understand, there used to be prejudice against left-handed people.
Even until fairly recently; teachers and parents would try to 'switch'
left-handed students to be right-handed.

BINGO - my teachers tried to force me to write right-handed.  They luckily
gave up after a while, because my handwriting is bad enough left-handed,
right-handed I might as well be scrawling Sanscrit.

I've never experienced any
kind of negative prejudice because I'm left-handed, and I don't
seriously expect I ever will.

Well, that's because <groaner> "we 10%" are the only ones in our right
minds</groaner>

But why are product developers and marketers so dense that they're
willing to tick off 10% of their market on product usability issues?

Good question.  Luckily, I am mostly ambidextrous - I only write and bat
left-handed, just about anything else I can do with both (though I use
scissors with much better control in my left hand).

Let me tell you my story.  The other night, I needed to buy some
dishsoap from the store (this is an unusual occurrence, we usually get
Dish Drops by the gallon at the employee store).  I noticed that several
of the leading brands were using the same molds for their bottles; a
variation of the classic dishsoap bottle, shortened and somewhat
squat-looking.  The important thing is there are corrugated 'swoosh'
shapes around the neck.  I grabbed my favorite brand, paid, and went
home to work on a sink full of dishes.

Now, it seems the 'swoosh' imprints on these bottles are more than
decorative, they're also hand-grips.  And they work great--if you are
holding the bottle in your right hand.  In my right hand, the bottle sat
very nicely, I could easily grip and squeeze the bottle, it was very
comfortable and easy.  In my left hand, I got none of the benefit from
the swooshes.  If anything, the bottle was somewhat less comfortable to
hold and use than a plain bottle, because my digits were crossing the
shape of the bottle, instead of going with it.  Kind of like trying to
use right-handed sewing scissors, except not as extreme. :(

Now, why am I going on about a minor detail of a household product?
Practically speaking, the swooshes made little difference in my use of
the product.  But the more dishes I washed, the more times I used the
bottle (hey, it was a big pile of dishes!), the more it bothered me.
The impression I got from that little bottle of dishsoap was that the
people behind the product didn't give a rip about me.  So why should I
give a rip about them?  More importantly, why should I *want* to buy
their product?

Stupid product developers.  Why do they do something that makes little
difference to 90% of their market, and can potentially steam the other
10%?

Steve