 Off-Topic / Fun / *11587 (-20)
Re: Where did all the fun go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2019 02:15:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, "Larry Pieniazek"
<lar(at@at)miltontrainworks(dot.dot)com> wrote:

What we need is something stirring up some fun.

Still true.

Re: Where did all the fun go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:46:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, "Larry Pieniazek"
<lar(at@at)miltontrainworks(dot.dot)com> wrote:
The last few weeks of activity here, sitewide, per the automation, have been the
automation posting the activity stats. And that's it. There is one post a month
about dinner.

What we need is something stirring up some fun.

Who's posting about dinner???

Now I'm hungry

Dave K

Subject:
Where did all the fun go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2017 00:26:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The last few weeks of activity here, sitewide, per the automation, have been the
automation posting the activity stats. And that's it. There is one post a month
about dinner.

What we need is something stirring up some fun.

Re: Car Stereos vs Flash Drives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:04:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, "Larry Pieniazek"
<lar(at@at)miltontrainworks(dot.dot)com> wrote:

Car electronics in general are not as seamlessly integrated as they could be. I
think that's because of the captive market aspect, and because electronics are
"nice to have"... your buy decision isn't going to make or break on how well the
electronics integrate... it's going to be on crash test results, mileage,
expected reliability, etc...

Good point.

My suspicion is that MP3 playback via CD-R or USB device is considered old and
boring, and doesn't get much attention during development of the systems.

However, one of the units with issues is the after-market Kenwood that I got
after my car's CD player died. You'd hope the aftermarket a/v companies would
have a higher standard for their product.

--Steve

Re: Car Stereos vs Flash Drives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:03:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, "Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Anyway, I felt like ranting about something that probably no one else gives a
rip about, and I couldn't think of a better place to do it than
lugnet.off-topic.fun.

Thanks for reading, and post your comments below the jump!

"below the jump" ?? I see what you did there.

Car electronics in general are not as seamlessly integrated as they could be. I
think that's because of the captive market aspect, and because electronics are
"nice to have"... your buy decision isn't going to make or break on how well the
electronics integrate... it's going to be on crash test results, mileage,
expected reliability, etc...

Subject:
Car Stereos vs Flash Drives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:29:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

So recently I've had the chance to try the USB/MP3 playback features in several
different car entertainment systems (ie, stereos). And, across the board, the
results have been underwhelming.  Anyone else had similar experiences?

This last weekend, we rented a Toyota Corolla. The silly thing would only play 1
song, then stop. We'd have to manually select each song. I looked online, the
only thing I came across is the player got confused by some of the tags --
removing metadata from the song files would resolve the issue. For reals?!

We had better things to do with the car, so I didn't bother testing the
suggested workaround.

On all units I've used, there is no 'seamless playback' -- there's an audible
break between each song (most annoying when listening to live albums). This is
an issue that was addressed over a decade ago in the MP3 format standards!

The Kenwood aftermarket unit in my car will display album art - but only from
meta-data tags embedded in the song files. It doesn't look for the a folder.jpg
image in the folder alongside song files, or any of the other typical schemes
for storing album art as separate files.

Also, the Kenwood can read a 64Gb flash drive -- but it only handles 250
folders, and 5000 songs. So I can really only fill that 64Gb drive about half
full - unless I start ripping albums as single MP3 files. Which would lead to my
whinging about lack of support for intra-file track marking (ie, CUE sheets).

Anyway, I felt like ranting about something that probably no one else gives a
rip about, and I couldn't think of a better place to do it than
lugnet.off-topic.fun.

Thanks for reading, and post your comments below the jump!

-- Steve

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2014 20:49:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Chris Magno wrote:

   I’m hurt.

You’re still head of the B.E.D. Act accordingly!

JOHN

Easy for you to say. It’s not like I have my face on a Shirt, or even my fave on a mini-fig.....

Oh wait.

Nevermind.

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:04:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Chris Magno wrote:

   I’m hurt.

You’re still head of the B.E.D. Act accordingly!

JOHN

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2014 02:27:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Suzanne Rich wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Thought y’all might like some company!

(chirp)

DaveE

chirp, chirp!

-Suz

I post, Dave Post, and Crickets....

The great and All Mighty John Neal Posts, and THEE Susan Rich comes out of hiding.

I’m hurt.

Nay, crushed

off to lick my wounds. I need a hug

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:07:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
   Why Larry isn’t here to moderate.... :D

There are no mods. As to why? Because we can’t have nice things.

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 01:01:09 GMT

   In lugnet.trains, Abner Finley wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Thought y’all might like some company!

JOHN

The bar is open. Fully stocked. The wine is fine aged quite nicely over the years. Since not a whole lot people come in here. :)

Somehow... the party left LUGNET leaving the booze.

Please stay on topic for this NG, sir. We can’t have your spirits cluttering up .trains!

:-P

JOHN

Why Larry isn’t here to moderate.... :D

Ben

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 03:26:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Suzanne Rich wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Thought y’all might like some company!

(chirp)

DaveE

chirp, chirp!

-Suz

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp!

FYI: There is about $22 Million dollars in the LUGNET Fund. The compounding interest over the years has increase the fund. Since nobody was not checking the ‘rooms’ aka newsgroups. ;) (just kidding)

-Abner

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 02:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Thought y’all might like some company!

(chirp)

DaveE

chirp, chirp!

-Suz

Re: Hello, Crickets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 02:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Thought y’all might like some company!

(chirp)

DaveE

Re: Controversial 'Mr. Gold' LEGO figure is $1,000 windfall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 20:22:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.mediawatch, Abner Finley wrote:
   Controversial gold LEGO figure is $1,000 windfall

Individually numbered and mixed in randomly with LEGO’s other collectible minifigs, Mr. Gold is gold-chromed from top hat to toes -- except for his classy white gloves.

snippers

All the same, the decision hasn’t been popular with some LEGO devotees, who fear adult collectors will snap up all the Mr. Golds and shut out the toy’s younger fans.

snippers

“And I’m struggling to believe that the LEGO company actually set out with the intention of lining the pockets of eBay scalpers. Which does beg the question of exactly what they’re trying to achieve by doing this...is it just good, old-fashioned greed and a desire to milk the Collectible Minifigure cash-cow for all it’s worth?”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do, but I’ll certainly be buying less of their product in the future.”

Ah, the classics never go out of style,,, ;-)

Re: Whatever happened to the "Lugnet Coming in Summer 2012"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:50:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jeff Van Winden wrote:

I remember seeing this in the spring, and Thinking a few times in the Summer, that it was summer, and I went to look at Lugnet, I thought that again today, and that banner is now gone..

So I have to ask,

What was supossed to happen in the Summer of 2012 with Lugnet?!?

You missed it! It was pretty cool but it had to be turned off...

I think someone complained. Then there was a study group formed but they couldn’t agree what to study or how to talk so it all fizzled.

Nice contest entry but I don’t think it will win.

ROSCO

Votes up or down?

I think this poll is rigged

Dave K

Re: Whatever happened to the "Lugnet Coming in Summer 2012"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:48:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jeff Van Winden wrote:

I remember seeing this in the spring, and Thinking a few times in the Summer, that it was summer, and I went to look at Lugnet, I thought that again today, and that banner is now gone..

So I have to ask,

What was supossed to happen in the Summer of 2012 with Lugnet?!?

You missed it! It was pretty cool but it had to be turned off...

I think someone complained. Then there was a study group formed but they couldn’t agree what to study or how to talk so it all fizzled.

As usual, the greatest doesn’t survive.

Eh, as we say on Earth, ‘C’est la vie!’

Dave K

Re: Whatever happened to the "Lugnet Coming in Summer 2012"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 01:16:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jeff Van Winden wrote:

I remember seeing this in the spring, and Thinking a few times in the Summer, that it was summer, and I went to look at Lugnet, I thought that again today, and that banner is now gone..

So I have to ask,

What was supossed to happen in the Summer of 2012 with Lugnet?!?

You missed it! It was pretty cool but it had to be turned off...

I think someone complained. Then there was a study group formed but they couldn’t agree what to study or how to talk so it all fizzled.

Nice contest entry but I don’t think it will win.

ROSCO

Re: Whatever happened to the "Lugnet Coming in Summer 2012"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 04:55:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Jeff Van Winden wrote:

I remember seeing this in the spring, and Thinking a few times in the Summer, that it was summer, and I went to look at Lugnet, I thought that again today, and that banner is now gone..

So I have to ask,

What was supossed to happen in the Summer of 2012 with Lugnet?!?

You missed it! It was pretty cool but it had to be turned off...

I think someone complained. Then there was a study group formed but they couldn’t agree what to study or how to talk so it all fizzled.

Re: Astronaut Builds LEGO Space Station Inside Real-Life Space Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 04:34:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Kennedy wrote:
From space.com

http://www.space.com/14675-lego-space-station-astronaut-toys.html

Gosh!  How much does that thing weigh?

Less than the one made from Megablox... :)

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact