 Off-Topic / Debate / 27804
Re: New Custom Molded MODERN Minifig Weapons from BrickArms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:57:24 GMT

   Doesn’t violence somehow stand in opposition to the “Play well” motto?

NOTE: These opinions do not reflect any official policy or stance of the organizations of which I am a member. I don’t know what the official stance is.

Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115 BAYLUG/BAYLTC

Hi, Paul,

Not speaking for Will, of course, I must say your comments are well-taken.

Please understand I am coming from a completely unbiased stance myself, and I won’t try to take a stab at the “official” take on this issue. All I know is that I will try not to shoot myself in the foot, but I may take some verbal potshots at a few people. Sorry, this reply is just a shot in the dark. Also, I promise not to use bullets in this reply, although I am gunning for your support. I have the general idea of this issue in my front sights, but I’ll still be shooting from the hip.

Sorry...I didn’t come here to tell you that. :-)

I would point out, however, that LEGO did release some rifles and revolvers as official elements; I believe someone in this thread already made an observation to that effect.

In my view, Will wasn’t aiming for a promotion of violence with these custom elements any more than idSoftware was when they came out with the Doom PC game. I am 38 years old, and when I was in school, school shootings were virtually unheard of, yet we played “Cops and Robbers” (or some facsimile thereof) all the time. It was for the thrill of the Western or 1930’s serial genres that we did so, not for love of violence.

I say it all boils down to how we educate our children - or don’t. If a child’s parents have been replaced by the refrigerator and the PlayStation2, then it’s small wonder that (s)he has a hard time differentiating fiction from reality -- because Mom is upstairs watching Murder She Committed and Dad is out drinking with the boys, or maybe Dad’s upstairs watching TV and Mom’s out drinking with the boys, I don’t know; but I digress. It’s too easy to pin the blame (for the escalating rise in violence among our youngest generation) on Doom, Transformers, Santa Claus Versus the Martians, or custom LEGO elements.

All this may be academic, however. If LEGO has a problem with it, I’m sure they’ll be in contact with Will in due course. But I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

Hope my comments are taken in the spirit in which they were intended. It’s a tricky issue to be sure.

Peace,

Pat