 Off-Topic / Debate / 27444
Re: New Lego Exoforce
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:13:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tobias Möller wrote:

(Impressions based on photos found at:
http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/toys/legoexoforce.php - I couldn't get the
Flash on LEGO.com to work properly)

I'm on the negative side on this one.

The models (in my opinion) are not that good - essentially a skeleton with
some weapons added, and a lot of printed pieces. The designs are pretty ugly
too, but your opinion may, of course, vary.

The bronze-colored figures look like cheap run-of-the-mill unpainted generic
plastic action figures made in China to pseudo-resemble and profiteer on the
latest kid fad. Yes, they're that horrible.

Just perusing these forums and this post caught my eye.

I'm in agreement with you concerning the models - it seems like lego hired
another crew of set designers to pull off this theme - the model designs look
rather generic and rushed, and the anime influence doesn't seem to pull it
together.

I think if they scrapped the pop-culture musings and went with something based
on reality (think real-world, military inspired designs, or something along the
line from what you would expect out of metal gear) then the designs would be
more attractive and believable. Also, some consistency on the color palette
would help (instead of five colours, stick with two.)

There seems to be an abundance of specialty pieces too - from what I've seen
here (and at school) is that the best designs are achieved through simplicity
and consistency - and lots of sketches : )

Overall, I am not impressed by this new theme. Lego needs to re-examine its
design work and look back to what the company was doing in the 80's in terms of
set design if they want to make their product shine.

No fads - they need to just deliver a high quality product.
They have not received my business for a couple of years because of this.

- Matt A. Hein