 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2770
Re: Good Pics of Oxford / Cobi / Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:06:56 GMT

   3 400 piece sets, the police station, fire station, and military jet maintence set.

any pics of these 3?

Jeff

I just picked up the police station, fire station and swat van.

There are pictures of the 3 large sets on the back of each large set box. I’ll try and get some pics of the sets, boxes and accessory/weapon sprues up tomorrow or the next day.

As for the sets, they are obviously using slightly simplified Oxford sets. The overall quality seems to be a bit less than the Oxford stuff at painkillers site. The Oxford stuff I’ve seen online seems to be of solid LEGO quality, whereas The KMart figures and accessories are a tiny bit cruder, and some of the acessories pieces of the Oxford sets have been removed for the KMart editions. Except for their legs, Oxford figs are nearly indistinguishable from LEGO, but the KMart figs have slightly elongated necks, and cruder hands. As expected, like most clones, black and white are the only near-exact matches for LEGO colors.

Over all though, I am very impressed, the pieces are similar to MegaBloks in that you have to push a bit harder than LEGO to fit them toghether, but once together they stay together very well. It is also neat to fineally have some afro-american figures, and I really like the unique door pieces. Comparing to similar LEGO offerings shows the real value of these sets. Aproximately a quarter to a third of the price of similar lego offerings.

The instructions are printed on quality glossy paper, and say “Cobi Best-Lock”. Also, the sets included accessories like guns, tools, etc, and qute a number of extra pieces that were not pictured on the box. The police station set even came with sandbag annd stone-like bricks that were not shown on the box or in the instructions

The SWAT van is my favorite. As was mentioned in an earier post, it has a very nice simple design and good accessories. The firehouse set is a close second, and is probably the best set of the batch for piece selection and play value. The included fire engine is a very nice model, the motorcyle is very cool, and by dispensing with the helicopter and firehouse from the instructions, I was able to make a much nicer three story firehouse than the the one pictured on the box. The Police station is nice, but it had almost no 1x2 briks, and I found myself wishing that the set had more windows and doors like the fire set.

I may purchase multiples of the sets that I have, but I probably will not go for the military sets as I have no little interest in Military briks. Also, the smaller fire set is just a simpler version of two vehicles that come in the larger set, so I probably won’t bother with that one either.

Here’s to hoping that KMart keeps expanding their quasi-Oxford “JustKidz” block line!

Karl

PS It appears that Painkiller’s www.brickplanet.com site is gone, anybody able to find a working link?