 Local / United States / Virginia / * (-5)
Subject:
LEGO Architecture at the National Building Museum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 02:23:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

If you are in Washington, DC area this Summer.

Opening This Weekend: LEGO Architecture at the National Building Museum

Posted by Nevin Martell
July 2, 2010

When you’re a kid, there are few better ways to spend an afternoon than playing with LEGO bricks. Maybe you want to build a spaceship, a Viking ship, or a firehouse. Or maybe you’re building something that previously only existed in your imagination.

Or maybe, like me, you grew up and wrote a book about LEGO minifigures.

Adam Reed Tucker has gone one further: He makes a living playing with LEGO. The architectural artist and LEGO Certified Professional (seen above with his work) has made a career creating landmark buildings using LEGO. His mega models–which use up to half a million bricks and can shoot up to 18 feet high–include the Empire State Building, the Space Needle, and the John Hancock Center in Chicago. Now 15 of these brick creations are on display at the National Building Museum as part of “LEGO Architecture: Towering Ambition.”

To celebrate the exhibit, Tucker will be unveiling a brand new creation, which is his take on the White House. Kids–and adults who want to pretend they’re still kids–can purchase a smaller version of the model at the museum store to take home and build themselves.

The exhibition runs through Sept. 5 at the National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW. $5.

Washingtoncitypaper

-end of report-

Re: Visiting the East Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:13:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Howdy folks,

Here I am again. That pesky old-timer who refuses to go away while refusing to actually do anything lego-related!

No, that’s a lie, I actually built a MOC last year. Never got around to posting about it, ergo, it never existed.

So, what am I doing here again?

Easy answer: coming to the East Coast!

In lugnet.people, Shiri Dori wrote:
   Hi folks!

Well, it has certainly been a while. (Four years, to be precise.)

Yesterday, I landed in Boston for a one-month visit to the East Coast. This (following ten amazing days in Holland) is to celebrate my Masters graduation (with honors, yay me!). Before I dive into the corporate world (and hopefully not belly-flop), I’m taking a well-earned break from everything work-related.

OK, I had a short visit last year in which I got to see Tim (yay Tim, you rock for making it up to Boston!) but different constraints meant I saw zilch else (I was partly working, traveling with BF, etc.).

This time, I’m coming for another visit and a bit less constrained.

My schedule... <drumroll please>
  • Land in NYC Jan 26th, fly to Boston next day.

  • Jan 27th to Feb 3rd - Boston, MA.

  • Feb 4th to 9th - flexible, planned destinations NYC and Philadelphia.

  • D.C. potentially still possible between those dates.

  • Fly back from NYC Feb 9th.
So, if you care and my schedule fits yours, drop me a line. I am still available by email, as below:

   I am available at the coveted firstname.lastname at gmail. <grin>

Glad to be here, -Shiri

...and still glad to be here.

-Shiri

Subject:
LEGO Display @Whistle Stop Hobbies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 22:59:09 GMT

Anyone interested that is not a member of WAMALUG or WAMALTC are welcome to join
us.

On May 1, 2007, Whistle Stop Hobbies (www.whistlestophob bies.com) ,
located at 130 South Royal St, in Alexandria, VA (703 549-4912),
celebrated their third anniversary. For those of you who are not
aware this shop is owned by Frank Kozuch and has a pretty good
selection of LEGO. Frank has joined with WAMALTC in doing several
events that have featured some great train layouts. Frank is also
frequently at the train shows in Timonium, MD and Manassas, VA as a
vendor.

Last week Frank asked about WAMALTC doing some kind of display in
the window of his store. In the past he has had large train display
including some LEGO trains that have been featured in the local
Alexandria paper. The original plan was to try a get together this
weekend.

Frank obtained three additional K-8 boxes from the LEGO Group. He
already had one K-8 that was used at the LEGO Lollapalooza for free
style building. Unfortunately, I have so many things going on that
I neglected to post the message until now in order to gage the
amount of interest in doing some kind of freestyle build at the
shop. Next weekend both WAMALTC and WAMALUG are scheduled to hold
their meetings at the same location, George Mason University.

I am proposing that some of us wonder over to the store and just
work on a large display using the approximate 40, 000 plus bricks in
the boxes. One of the ideas kicked around was a large cake and
maybe a train, or railroad crossing. Tony, when asked suggested
that the best option was to just do a free style build at the
location, rather than trying to design a display before hand. Any
and all input would be appreciated. This display may or may not be
completed in one day or even the weekend, and may be a work in
progress.

I know we all have a lot on our plates, but I think this is a
worthwhile project and an opportunity to showcase some of our work.
If you are interested and can participate next weekend or over the
following week, please respond by posting a reply with the dates and
times you are available.

This message is posted in both the WAMALTC and WAMALUG groups.

Subject:
Visiting the East Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:52:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks!

Well, it has certainly been a while. (Four years, to be precise.)

Yesterday, I landed in Boston for a one-month visit to the East Coast. This (following ten amazing days in Holland) is to celebrate my Masters graduation (with honors, yay me!). Before I dive into the corporate world (and hopefully not belly-flop), I’m taking a well-earned break from everything work-related.

While home-base is generally Boston, I am not confined to there. I will be visiting other locations in and around the East Coast. Certain locations are Philadelphia (date uncertain) and Virginia + D.C. (25th of July til August 4th). New York (both City and State) are likely but not certain. Other destinations along the coast are optional. I intend to rent a car and I’m good to drive far. I will be flying back from D.C. on August 4th.

Of course, classically, I’m missing the big fests, but hey, what can you do - my best friend is getting married on August 6th. Wouldn’t miss it for the world (even if it were a model built of bricks).

I will be glad to meet anyone who wants to do so, especially in these areas but also other areas along the coast - like I said - are potentially good. If you want me to come see you somewhere else, that I haven’t listed - I’ll be happy to come if you can provide me with lodgings.

As you might expect, I have been quite neglecting Lego, but that is easily remedied in the USA.

I am available at the coveted firstname.lastname at gmail. grin

Glad to be here, -Shiri

Subject:
WAMALUG Display at the National Air and Space Museum, April 15 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.space, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:16:43 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

This was the second year that WAMALUG participated in Explore the Universe Day at the National Air and Space Museum. Museum visitors got to see a nice variety of Space and space related MOCs, and also were able to build in a free build space by the display.

There was a moonbase, with modules by Tony Perez, Margaret Keys, Joe Meno, Robert Gurskey, and Phil Moyer. Monorail was provided by Tony Perez and Margaret Keys, and a moonway car was built by Margaret Keys.

Mecha was also well represented, with Fradel Gonzales and his mecha bay, and assorted other models. Adam Silcott also brought in some of his models.

Spaceships included a SHIP by Dan Rubin, who also brought in a few other smaller ships, another SHIP by Jeff Stembel, some NASA Discovery sets by Philip Moyer and Mike Harrod, a drop ship by Magnus lauglo, and an astronaut and Skylab mini by Joe Meno.

Kunie Devorkin showed off her mini Air and Space Museum model, which has unofficially taken residence at the museum offices.

Many thanks to the members of WAMALUG/WAMALTC who participated:

Tony Perez
Phil Moyer
Margaret Keys
Jeff Stembel
Dan Rubin
Fradel Gonzales
Thom Norris
Denise Jadud
Adam Silcott
Kunie DeVorkin
Mike Harrod
Robert Gurskey

Also thanks to the people at the National Air and Space Museum for their help:

Michelle Krok
David DeVorkin
Mychalene Giampaoli

Galleries can be found here:
Jeff Stembel’s Gallery
Philip Moyer’s Gallery
Joe Meno’s Gallery

It was a great event, and we’ll be back for next year!

Joe Meno
Coordinator

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact