 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 149
Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:20:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Jake McKee writes:
I have been inspired! Would anyone have any interest in forming a
Connecticut and/or southern Mass. LEGO Train Club?

First, let me say that I am located in southeastern Massachusetts, and would
certainly consider driving for a couple hours to participate in train shows
with you.

But your very question tips another issue that has long been festering in
the back of my mind.  Did NELUG cast too wide a net?  When we started NELUG,
we chose a "New England" designation because we were not certain that a
smaller geographic focus would contain enough AFOLs to support a LUG.  In
reality, NELUG is dominated by activity in eastern Massachusetts, despite at
least a few past efforts to include members from other areas.  Our attempts
to organize meetings in western MA or to do train shows in southern NE have
collapsed for lack of critical mass.

Yeah, a small train club out here does sound like a lot of fun, but
that critical mass problem is a tough one to get past, way out
here in the woods of Southern N.E.  I suspect it would take some
sort of spectacular event to coax 10 potential members out of the
woodwork.  I envision something like a once in a lifetime chance to
shop at the internal company discount store, followed by a trip to
the trolley museum for building inspiration just might do it, but I
don't think the trolley museum is even open until spring.  Maybe you
could check out one of the NELUG shows in the meantime to keep the
inspiration going.

Don