 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 148
147  |  149
Subject:
Casting a large net
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:34:14 GMT

The "casting of a large net" is a very interesting topic. In fact I think it
is one of the most over looked concepts in the formation of a new club. In
the early stages of forming a club the biggest hurdle is achieving critical
mass. So by covering a large geo this is more achievable. However as clubs
mature and grow, so does the number of members. In PNLTC's case we have
grown to the point where the Portland and Seattle members (3.5hr drive) do
separate shows with only a small amount of cross pollination. We have taken
to meet in a small town mid way to have PNLTC train-fests so that we can all
literally get to meet each other. We've had 4 "joint" face-to-face meetings
in the last 2 years.

I think that it is important to understand this process and embrace the fact
that large geo's serviced by a single club will inevitably divide into
smaller sustainable clubs. It seems like 10 members is a kind of magic
number, where there is a critical mass achieved yet the inter-communications
are easily maintained etc.

I hope to flush out these ramblings in an article for the ITLCO web site; an
article about forming a new train club.

<shamelessplug>
These kinds of key learning's should be captured and shared. The ILTCO is
planning on having a resource area on the ILTCO.org web page for "Best Know
Methods", articles, fest presentations etc. If you are interested please get
started writting and let us know.
</shamelessplug>

SteveB