 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 150
Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:45:25 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

Yeah, a small train club out here does sound like a lot of fun, but
that critical mass problem is a tough one to get past, way out
here in the woods of Southern N.E.  I suspect it would take some
sort of spectacular event to coax 10 potential members out of the
woodwork.  I envision something like a once in a lifetime chance to
shop at the internal company discount store, followed by a trip to
the trolley museum for building inspiration just might do it, but I
don't think the trolley museum is even open until spring.  Maybe you
could check out one of the NELUG shows in the meantime to keep the
inspiration going.

Don

You don't need 10 people to do a successful train show.  It helps but it
isn't absolutely necessary.  We here in North Carolina (NCLTC) have done a
most of our shows with 3-5 people contibuting to the layout.  We have some
additional help with set up and tear down but the core group of builders is
actually pretty small.

There is no rule that says you have to have a 20'x30' layout for it to be a
success.  Our next layout is scaling back a bit, it will be 8'x18' but it
will have some new features that we are pretty excited about.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com