 Local / United States / New York / (-20)
Subject:
Earth Day @ Liberty State Park
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:03:30 GMT

Join us this Saturday April 18th, 2009 for the Legomaster Tent display and building area on
Earth Day @ Liberty State Park, Jersey City, New Jersey.

Last year in 2008, we had a great turn out, and this year we are supposed to have a nice day!

Come build the Earth!
Noon til 5pm.

Check out the gallery of photos from last year:

Stop by and say hello!

Eric Sophie
Legomaster
Biomechanical Bricks

Subject:
Engineers Week - Liberty Science Center - 2/16/09 & 2/21/09
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:51:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

PRESS: ENGINEERS WEEK 2009 STATEMENT

NY/NJ LEGO Fans - I was invited to showcase my Mecha designs at this year’s
Annual Engineer’s Week at the Liberty Science Center, Jersey City, New Jersey.

I would like to invite you too!

Easy access from the NJ Turnpike.

The event will feature workshops and demos by Storming Robots as well as a
host of First Lego League Teams like the super awesome Team Landroids!

I will provide hands on buiding activities with tons of LEGO.

Join us February 16th and 21st. 2009 at the Liberty Science Center!

Information Hyperlinks:

Engineers Week Web Site. (National site)
Storming Robots Photo Gallery
Team Landroids Event: 2/16/09
Team Landroids Event: 2/21/09
Team Landroids Event: 2008 E-week
Legomaster Brickshelf Gallery E-Week 2/18/08
Legomaster Brickshelf Gallery E-Week 2/23/08
Liberty Science Center Web Site

Come join us, feel free to bring your LEGO models!

Eric Sophie
Legomaster
Biomechanical Bricks

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 20:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Ed McGlynn wrote:
Honestly, we get many requests for shows and displays throughout the year, but
our membership just hasn't diversified/grown enough to cover the broad Central
and Western New York area.  We have a core group that can't stretch that thinly
at the moment.  If I can assist NELUG or others with the pursuit of a permanent
layout at the museum, please let me know.

Just thought I'd follow up here.

Ed
LUCNY

Ed,

On a similar note, if you ever get requests for any upstate New York events that
might need manpower, let me know.  Though I'm a NELUGer (NELUGite?), I'm
probably as close to New York as I am to most of the NELUG events (I'm in
southwestern Vermont).  I actually drive about 3 hours to most of our events, so
a 3 to 4 hour drive isn't out of the question for me.

My daughter and I actually visited the LUCNY layout at a show in Syracuse (I
think) a couple of years back. I was busy keeping an eye on her so I didn't get
a chance to introduce myself.

-Elroy

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 18:35:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
Although we aren't located in New York, NELUG has a band of trainheads in
western Massachusetts (and the surrounding colonies) who might be interested in
helping out.  I have posted to the club's newsgroup to see if there is any
interest.

Do you know if they are trying to set up a permanent layout using their own
brick, or would this be a temporary (privately-owned) display?  Any other
details you could provide on what they are trying to accomplish or what
timeframe (start date and duration of display) would be very helpful.

   The layout would only be for a weekend, on March 17-18, 2007, so it woul d
only be a temporary layout using privately own collections.  Based on my contact
with the Toy musem if someone were interested, there are many opportunities with
the museum so there might be a possibility of setting up a permanent display.

   What I'm looking for is someone to take over this project.  I have too much
going on right now, but this seems like a good opportunity to grow into
something more, so I really don't want the community to miss it.

   In regards to the other suggestions, I already tried ILTCO and LUCNY without
success so I posted to lugnet in hopes of getting someone's attention.

Jim,

I posted this to the NELUG list.  The general consensus so far is that this is a
long distance for us.  Our nearest member is over 4 hours from Rochester, and
most of us are more than 6 hours away.  This means that a temporary display
(setup + manning the layout + teardown) would be unrealistic for us, especially
on such a short timeframe.  Some members are interested in supporting a
permanent layout for the museum, since we presumably wouldn't have to be on-site
to babysit the layout.

Feel free to put the museum in touch with us (send them to www.nelug.org, or you
could give them my e-mail address) if you think they might want to pursue this
with us, but I'd hate to "take ownership" of this project from you since we
cannot commit enough resources to do a private layout there in March.

I am x-posting this to rtlToronto, because they are probably the closest LUG to
the Rochester area, and they may be able to help.

This looks like a great opportunity, and it would be a shame to let it get away.

I believe I was in contact with Jim before this event, and LUCNY couldn't get
the manpower to staff it that weekend.  The museum is a great venue, and I live
only a half-hour or so away from it, but most of our members are over 2 hours
away, and weren't available anyway.  I couldn't swing it myself.

Honestly, we get many requests for shows and displays throughout the year, but
our membership just hasn't diversified/grown enough to cover the broad Central
and Western New York area.  We have a core group that can't stretch that thinly
at the moment.  If I can assist NELUG or others with the pursuit of a permanent
layout at the museum, please let me know.

Just thought I'd follow up here.

Ed
LUCNY

Subject:
the Iconic Art Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:25:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I was asked by Rock Soup to display one of my Quads for the Iconic Art Show held in LITM - curated by John Ruddy.

Stop by LITM on Newark Ave, just off Grove St. and see the Art of Jersey City’s most Iconic Artists.

See the full Gallery - Click the image

Legomaster

Subject:
LEGOMASTER - ROCK SOUP - Tonight 1.27.07
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:54:51 GMT

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:14:02 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:19:02 GMT

[...]

Thanks,
   Jim F.

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
Hey gang,

  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Thanks,
   Jim F.

http://www.iltco.org/clubs/?clubdetailid=4

CDC

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:43:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
   Hey gang,

I’m looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester. The National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display. Is there anyone that might be interested in helping out?

A good place to run this through would be ILTCO. I’m sure they’d have somebody who’d be able to point you in the right direction.

Kelly

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Although we aren't located in New York, NELUG has a band of trainheads in
western Massachusetts (and the surrounding colonies) who might be interested in
helping out.  I have posted to the club's newsgroup to see if there is any
interest.

Do you know if they are trying to set up a permanent layout using their own
brick, or would this be a temporary (privately-owned) display?  Any other
details you could provide on what they are trying to accomplish or what
timeframe (start date and duration of display) would be very helpful.

Subject:
Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:59:19 GMT

Hey gang,

  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Thanks,
   Jim F.

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Subject:
Lego Building Classes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:25:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Lego Building Classes

I teach Lego Building Classes in two locations in New Jersey.
Lego Classes are designed to convey general building knowledge, promote positive
social interaction by allowing students to share their ideas and creations.
Classes are by sign up and or drop in. Bring your own Lego or use ours.

Echo of Art
Arts & Activities Center for Kids of all ages
157 1 St.
Hoboken, New Jersey 07030
201-795-9333
Mondays
4:00 PM 1 Hour
Sign up and Drop in

Waterfront Montessori School
150 Warren Street, Suite 108
Jersey City,  New Jersey 07302
201-333-5600
Thursdays
3:45 PM to 5:30 PM
Sign up

About the teacher:

I was approached in late 2004 about holding Lego Building Classes.
I didn't really think I could teach people to build the kinds of robots and
models I make.
Still there is valuable knowledge in the techniques involved in building such
creations.

So now I have been teaching dozens of kids and adults the kinds of things I have
learned.
When I work with my students, I understand the exploration they are taking part
in.
Because when I was young, I was that very same child. Building and exploring.

Since the word grew about my classes I have expanded now to two locations.
Stop by or if you would like more information please feel free to contact me.

Eric Sophie
www.biomechanicalbricks.com

Re: Newport advanced
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:21:36 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Eric Sophie wrote:
   In lugnet.build.mecha, Eric Sophie wrote:
   Newport advanced

In preparation for an upcomming show, I spent some time making some fun graphics.

Enjoy.

Eric Sophie

FYI - Biomechanical Bricks Display - “A taste of Newport” 8-24-05

Eric Sophie

BIOMECHANICAL BRICKS SHOW TODAY!

One block East of the Newport/Pavoina PATH Station.

5-8pm

Eric Sophie

Bots-Mecha-Robotics-Moonbase

Re: PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:01:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, James Trobaugh wrote:
You can find pictures of most of the store fronts on the LEGO.com site using
the store locator. Of course these pictures are property of LEGO.com but if
you asked nicely they might let you use them for your site....never hurts to
ask.

(Breezes through Lego's pictures http://www.lego.com/legostores/Default.asp?x=x)

Huh, what's the deal with Illinois? They've got "Woodfield, IL" and "Schaumburg,
IL" as two different stores, despite the fact that they point to the same store!
(Woodfield looks like it immediately bounces you to the Schaumburg page).

Interestingly, it doesn't look like they've updated the store locator with the
new stores yet (have they added any other new ones?). I notice that MA's new
Natick store isn't represented-- I think it's been around for... uh... almost a
month and a half now?

DaveE

(FUTting back to general)

Re: PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:48:20 GMT

Mark,

You can find pictures of most of the store fronts on the LEGO.com site using the store locator. Of course these pictures are property of LEGO.com but if you asked nicely they might let you use them for your site....never hurts to ask.

jt

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   Hello everybody!

While I was checking out the newest Lego store in Ontario, CA (ok, getting the opening bricks would be a better term) I thought it would be nice to try to get a basic picture of the front of each Lego store that has issued a store-opening brick to link to on the Lego Store page of my site. Sadly, I can not travel the world to snap pictures of each storefront so I am calling out for help.

This is what I am looking for:
http://www.promobricks.com/img/ontariomillslegostore.jpg

Nothing fancy, just something that shows off the front of the store in an image that can be about that size. Of course - full photo credit would go to you (that pic only has my URL on it because I took the picture).

If you can help me out you can send me mail at my email listed in the header of this post, or on the header of any page on the site. If you do email me please name the email “Lego Store Picture” or something along these lines so I will not miss it. Another option is to reply to this post (of course please set the follow up to reflect the location of the store)

Thank you for any and all help!

Mark P
PromoBricks.com

Re: PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:29:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   While I was checking out the newest Lego store in Ontario, CA (ok, getting the opening bricks would be a better term) I thought it would be nice to try to get a basic picture of the front of each Lego store that has issued a store-opening brick to link to on the Lego Store page of my site. Sadly, I can not travel the world to snap pictures of each storefront so I am calling out for help.

It is probably worth mentioning that some malls do not allow pictures to be taken inside the mall, and even if some malls do allow them, individual stores can still say no. I know this from experience.

Russell

BayLUG/BayLTC

Subject:
PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:20:59 GMT

[...]

Subject:
World Trade Center Revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:37:41 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is version 2 of my WTC microfig model that I rebuilt in November 2003. As with all my previous micro skyscraper “rebuilds”, the emphasis has been on improving and expanding the levels of details - particularly at street level. This proved to be somewhat problematic in the case of the WTC for two reasons. Unlike the Sears Tower/JHC, I never had a chance to personally visit the WTC complex to make my own observations. Secondly, although the WTC was one of the most photographed buildings in the world, most of the shots are of the “tourist variety” - focusing only on the centerpiece 110 story twin towers and the large plaza. Images of other more mundane aspects and hidden corners of the vast 16 acre office complex are difficult to find. I have spent the past couple of years searching and collecting these types of images so that I could rebuild my original model.

You can read about the details on MocPages or view the Brickshelf Gallery directly. Enjoy.

Spencer

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact