 Local / United States / Maryland / * (-20)
Re: Video of B&O Museum Holiday Festival of Trains Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2012 17:45:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bob Hayes wrote:
WamaLTC was at the B&O Museum in Baltimore November 23rd through the 25th, 2012.
Here is some video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2e0TLGiys

My 3 yr old had to watch this video 5 times in a row yesterday.

It's an awesome vid!

Nice layouts!

Dave K

Subject:
Video of B&O Museum Holiday Festival of Trains Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:19:48 GMT

Subject:
BaltoLUG meeting Sunday, October 24, 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:34:06 GMT

Join us for our next meeting on October 24, 2010 from 1-5pm.

Bring a set or your own creation to work on and show off!

Information including address at http://www.baltolug.net/

Subject:
LEGO Architecture at the National Building Museum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 02:23:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

If you are in Washington, DC area this Summer.

Opening This Weekend: LEGO Architecture at the National Building Museum

Posted by Nevin Martell
July 2, 2010

When you’re a kid, there are few better ways to spend an afternoon than playing with LEGO bricks. Maybe you want to build a spaceship, a Viking ship, or a firehouse. Or maybe you’re building something that previously only existed in your imagination.

Or maybe, like me, you grew up and wrote a book about LEGO minifigures.

Adam Reed Tucker has gone one further: He makes a living playing with LEGO. The architectural artist and LEGO Certified Professional (seen above with his work) has made a career creating landmark buildings using LEGO. His mega models–which use up to half a million bricks and can shoot up to 18 feet high–include the Empire State Building, the Space Needle, and the John Hancock Center in Chicago. Now 15 of these brick creations are on display at the National Building Museum as part of “LEGO Architecture: Towering Ambition.”

To celebrate the exhibit, Tucker will be unveiling a brand new creation, which is his take on the White House. Kids–and adults who want to pretend they’re still kids–can purchase a smaller version of the model at the museum store to take home and build themselves.

The exhibition runs through Sept. 5 at the National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW. $5.

Washingtoncitypaper

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Subject:
Gold Bricks/Pick-A-Brick in MD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:35:13 GMT

I just picked up the DUPLO tub with gold bricks at Be Beep in Severna Park. They also had the DUPLO bucket and the LEGO tub with gold bricks.

Unfortunately, Be Beep has taken down their Pick-A-Brick section. The person I spoke with said that PaB had been discontinued due to lack of sales, and that the PaB display had been shipped to a toy store in Boston (The Construction Site, perhaps?)

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

Subject:
Where to go in Washington area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:48:26 GMT

After attending BrickFest I intend to stay about two weeks in the US. I'm from
the Netherlands, don't know the Washington area and don't have any specific
plans yet.
My question is what location in the wider area around Washington you would
recommend to spend a vacation, preferably with some pleasant natural scenery,
and a hostel or budget hotel.
Or should I better fly from the area to a more attractive part of the States
alltogether?

Thanks,

Eric

Subject:
WAMALUG meeting Saturday, May 14
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 16:48:44 GMT

Saturday, May 14,
10:00am

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

What to expect;
Planning and building for the June event and BrickFest
Show and tell of MOCs and all things LEGO
Welcome new guests
News from the LEGO stores.
Bring stuff to trade and or sell

Time: 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (GMT-05:00)
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
Room: 115, lobby and Game room.
http://www.wamalug.org/

Street map of locality and links to directions
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Our closest subway station is Virginia Square/GMU on the Orange
Line
http://rideguide.wmata.com/

Hope to see you there.
Christina Hitchcock

WAMALUG

Subject:
Exploring the Universe Display with WAMALUG at the National Air and Space Museum, April 16th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.wv, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:36:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

WAMALUG (Washington and Metro area LUG), along with members from NCLUG (North Carolina LUG) and other LEGO builders will be involved with the National Air and Space Museum with Exploring the Universe Family Day:

You can find the release here.

If you are in the area, drop by and see a Moonbase, Star Wars creations by Gareth Bowler and Galen Fairbanks, planes, spacecraft and even a model of the museum!

Many thanks to the members of WAMALUG and NCLUG who will be participating, and to the many builders who sent me models to show! There will be an event report afterward that will fully credit the participants!

Joe Meno
Display Coordinator, NCLUG Administrator, WAMALUG, um, member, and
.space paparazzi!

Re: Pick-a-Brick In Maryland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:41:05 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Robert Fries wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   I went to one of my favorite toy stores today, and they had Pick-a-Brick! The store is called Be Beep, and aside from having Pick-a-Brick, they also have a LEGO Expo every year (April 27th - May 11th this year) ...

Which location has PaB & the Expo? (Annapolis, or Severna Park?)

Thanks for the info,

Robert

Both on both counts. Although, Annapolis is a smaller store and their PaB is even smaller than Severna Parks.

Pat Bunn (former BeBeep employee and frequent LEGO Expo Exhibitor)

Re: Pick-a-Brick In Maryland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   I went to one of my favorite toy stores today, and they had Pick-a-Brick! The store is called Be Beep, and aside from having Pick-a-Brick, they also have a LEGO Expo every year (April 27th - May 11th this year) ...

Which location has PaB & the Expo? (Annapolis, or Severna Park?)

Thanks for the info,

Robert

Subject:
Pick-a-Brick In Maryland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:21:49 GMT

I went to one of my favorite toy stores today, and they had Pick-a-Brick!

Severna Park Annapolis

The store is called Be Beep, and aside from having Pick-a-Brick, they also have a LEGO Expo every year (April 27th - May 11th this year), where you can display a model in their front window. And the staff is great!

The PaB bags come in two sizes, a $3.95 size and a $6.95 size. I filled both size bags up with 1x4 plates, and the smaller size was a little more cost-effective - 2.67 cents per piece versus 3.44 cents per piece in the bigger bag (or 148 plates versus 203 in the big bag).

The part selection is similar to the Tysons Corner Brand Retail store, albeit not as extensive. I got 1x4 plates in sand blue, as well as 2x4 plates in green.

All in all, very cool, and I hope PaB in independent stores catches on. Of course, now I’ll never be able to leave without making at least one purchase...

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

Subject:
WAMALUG Dinner gathering Wednesday Night
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:56:04 GMT

Hi All,
I know this is short notice... but several of us are getting together for dinner
this Wednesday and wanted to extend an invitation to those of you in the area
that missed or typically can't make our weekend meetings.

When: 6:00pm Wednesday

where:
Queen Bee Restaurant -
3181 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22201-4420 ph: 703.527.3444

Free parking at 3033 Wilson Blvd.
or Metro, Clarendon Stop, Orange line (less than 1 block)

MOC's are welcome, anythign LEGO is...
and we expect two ParLUGment members to join us. http://www.parlugment.org/

hope to see you there..

RSVP is appreciated I'd like to be sure we have seating for everyone.
chitchco@mailANTISPAM.gmu.edu

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

P.S. Our monthly dinner gathering is usually set for the 4th Wednesday of the
month. However, due to the holidays we have moved some minor adjustments.  Check
our website for more info. http://www.wamalug.org/

Re: Visiting D.C. Nov 16-19
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Christina Hitchcock wrote:
   In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Jason Allemann wrote:
   Another member of ParLUGment and myself will be in the DC area from Nov 16-19 for a conference. It would be cool if we could hook up with other fans in the area - lunch, dinner, coffee, a trip to a LEGO store, anything would be cool. Not sure what our exact itinerary is yet, but if anyone is interested let me know.

I see we’re just going to miss the next wamalug meeting, which is a shame. :(

Hi Jason, This is great! We have our monthly dinner meeting set for the 17th. So this works out wonderfully. That is, if you all can join us on that night. We have not decided which restaurant yet and will likely have that figured out after out meeting this Saturday.

Please let us know approximately where you will be staying as that may play a factor in the location of the dinner.

Talk to you soon. Christina

Awesome. We’re planning to be there. I’ve sent you some info on where we’ll be at. Looking forward to it!

Re: Visiting D.C. Nov 16-19
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:17:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Brian P. Gefrich wrote:
   In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Jason Allemann wrote:
   Another member of ParLUGment and myself will be in the DC area from Nov 16-19 for a conference. It would be cool if we could hook up with other fans in the area - lunch, dinner, coffee, a trip to a LEGO store, anything would be cool. Not sure what our exact itinerary is yet, but if anyone is interested let me know.

I see we’re just going to miss the next wamalug meeting, which is a shame. :(

Jason,

I’d be more than happy to swing by the store with you guys and get a bite to eat. I’m Brian, currently (well, just for the rest of today) working at the Tyson’s Corner store. I worked at Potomac during Brickfest, and got the opportunity to meet a bunch of you guys. So come on down, we’ll hang out you can laugh at how cold we think it is down here right now.

-Brian

I just looked at the weather forecast for next week. I’m laughin’ already...

Our current plan is to take an extended lunch on Thursday to hit up the store. Based on past experience this plan will probably change 3 or 4 times before Thursday actually rolls around. I’ll keep you posted.

Re: Visiting D.C. Nov 16-19
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:42:24 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:32:02 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Visiting D.C. Nov 16-19
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:32:13 GMT

Another member of ParLUGment and myself will be in the DC area from Nov 16-19 for a conference. It would be cool if we could hook up with other fans in the area - lunch, dinner, coffee, a trip to a LEGO store, anything would be cool. Not sure what our exact itinerary is yet, but if anyone is interested let me know.

I see we’re just going to miss the next wamalug meeting, which is a shame. :(

Subject:
WAMALUG November meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 20:28:23 GMT

Saturday the 13th

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

What to expect;
Planning and building for the next train show
Building ornaments for the LEGO wreath.
Show and tell of MOCs and all things LEGO
Welcome new guests and new members.
News from the LEGO stores.
Bring stuff to trade and or sell
and one of the highlight of this meeting will be a presentation by Magnus on
"Large Scale Castle Building", probably around 2pm.

"Lords and ladies, knights and peasants all welcome ;)"

Date: Saturday, November 13, 2004
Time: 12:00PM - 6:00PM EST (GMT-05:00)
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
Room: 115, lobby and Game room.
http://www.wamalug.org/

Street map of locality and links to directions
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Our closest subway station is Virginia Square/GMU on the Orange
Line
http://rideguide.wmata.com/

Hope to see you there.
Christina Hitchcock

WAMALUG

Subject:
Wamalug Dinner gaterhing Wednesday Night
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:26:46 GMT

Hi All,
I know this is short notice... but WAMALUG would like to invite you to join us
for a little dinner gathering in Arlington, VA.

where:
http://www.hardtimes.com/clarendon.htm
HARD TIMES CAFE
C L A R E N D O N
3028 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Virginia 22314, (703) 528-2233

When: 6:00pm
Free parking at 3033 Wilson Blvd.
or Metro, Clarendon Stop, Orange line (less than 1 block)

MOC's are welcome
and we'll be talking about all things LEGO and other..

hope to see you there..

RSVP is appreciated I'd like to be sure we have seating for everyone.

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact