 Local / United States / Kansas / 49
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:49:08 GMT

In lugnet.town, Ace Kim writes:
i don't respond to hardly any MOC posts, maybe 1 or 2 in all the time i've
been lurking on lugnet. but this...... this is probably one of the most
beautifully designed buildings made out of LEGO i have ever seen. even
though it is modeled after the real union station, it transcends all ideas
of scale and translation into a gorgeous piece architectural piece.

congratulations on your accomplishment. i could only hope to build something
as beautiful and as detailed as your union station creation.

ace

Thank you. Those are very high words of praise, and I am flattered by your
"de-lurking" to let me know your thoughts.

Around 4 years back, I was just starting out with my own MOC's, and was
inspired (probably even intimidated?) by all the models I saw posted by many
of the people who are still with LUGNET. I don't know how many times I said
(and still say) "how did they do that?" which combined aspects of
fascination, admiration, mental reverse-engineering, and the excitement of
discovering something new.

My skill gradually rose over time, and it was/is attributable to such a
supportive community of Lego fans sharing their ideas and creations with
others. I learned about the 6:5 aspect ratio of the brick on LUGNET (which
was critical to the construction of Union Station), as well as many other
techniques.

It's fun to build MOC's, and maybe equally as fun to hear the comments of
others (and I need to make a mental note to increase how often I publicly
make comments on other's models - there are so many good ones out there. I
must have over 100 different people's models on my hard drive because they
caught my eye with some aspect of creativity or beauty).

It's the virtuous cycle of building, getting/sending comments and then
building some more that really makes this community go, and I appreciate
your adding to this cycle with your kind comments.

Mark Chan