 Local / United States / Illinois / (-20)
Subject:
NEW LUG plus questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:24:03 GMT

To any and all in the SE Wisconsin / NE Illinois area.  There is a group of us
in Kenosha starting up a new LUG.  Anyone interested please feel free to contact
me.  Our next meeting is planned for Thursday Sept. 9th 2010 starting around 6.

Also - anyone who reads this, I am looking for activities that are done by other
LUGs during the meetings.  Our first meeting we did a parts draft, are there
other standard organized activities that you all do?

Thanks!

Chris Eyerly

Subject:
Article on LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Chicago area
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:08:50 GMT

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/lifestyles/1081876,3_5_EL31_LEGOS_S1.article

Block party
Legoland Discovery Center in Schaumburg is first in the US

July 31, 2008

By MIKE DANAHEY Staff Writer
Had Led Zeppelin recorded a song called Whole Lotta Legos instead of Whole Lotta
Love, it would be on Dan Morey's iPod.

Morey, a carpenter by trade and graduate of Nequa Valley High School in
Naperville, is a master builder at the new LEGOLAND Discovery Centre on the
Streets of Woodfield in Schaumburg. He will be busy showing children what they
can create with the plastic blocks.

Morey also will build his own objects of art.

"With it (almost) being football season, I'd like to make a model of Soldier
Field," he said. "I figure it would take about three to four months working by
myself."

The Soldier Field replica would fit nicely in the "Miniland" cityscape of
Chicago, an impressive display of downtown architecture.

Morey's first creation -- a jumbo Chicago-style hot dog (mustard, no ketchup)
made from more than 700 LEGO pieces -- greets guests entering the
30,000-square-foot fun town. To get to the hot dog, guests must pass through a
giant Lego giraffe standing over the doorway of the first indoor amusement park
of its kind in the United States.

It's a LEGO lovers dream.

There is a Hall of Fame with LEGO models of Batman, Darth Vader and characters
from the Harry Potter saga; the Dragon Ride through a castle replete with LEGO
bats, knights, damsels, a chef in shackles and a fire-breathing dragon; a Jungle
Expedition of LEGO animals; and a faux factory where guests learn how LEGOs are
made.

There even is an old man made of LEGOs sleeping on a park bench, a Lego bust of
Albert Einstein and a store selling LEGOs to take home.

The center will change exhibits every three to four months, said attraction
manager Mike Pastor of Joliet, who also said there will be special events for
certain holidays.

Pastor said LEGOLAND also is working to partner with another attraction, the
joust-and-dine Medieval Times, and will offer educational outings for schools.

LEGOLAND has a movie room, too, currently showing Spellbreaker, a 4-D flick
about a medieval blacksmith who, with the aid of his lady, a jester and a
friendly young dragon, saves his land from a band of marshmallow-headed ghost
skeletons. The fourth dimension includes simulated wind, rain, snow and more.

On the center's second floor is the Build and Test area, where children can play
with LEGOs on a speed ramp, on an earthquake table or wherever their
imaginations take them.

It all went over well with Schaumburg's Campanelli YMCA campers, who visited
Friday in advance of today's grand opening.

"I liked the race cars and Batman," said Logan Caro, 6, of Hoffman Estates.

The race cars, Batman and the LEGO version of Chicago topped the list of fellow
campers Rohan Pathak, 9, of Schaumburg, Ajai Rajeev, 9, of Streamwood, Nikolas
Pohlschmidt, 8, of Hoffman Estates, Harshita Kumbham, 8, of Schaumburg, and
Julie Pallas, 8, of Elk Grove Village.

The two "Golden Brick" winners who received a free tour were Claire Strother, 8,
and Garrett Strother, 10, who both enjoyed the jungle area.

"I liked the Indiana Jones," said Garrett.

"And I liked all the animals," said Claire.

Taking it all in, wearing a big smile and a bright red golf shirt, was Joseph
Tiesch of Frankfort, who works at the center as an entertainer.

"I've always been a big LEGO fan," said Tiesch, who studied broadcasting in
college. "When I saw a pamphlet that they were hiring, I applied right away.
What I like about the job is it's great to see kids having such a good time, to
see that they liked LEGOs as much as I did when I was a kid."

Subject:
Chicago Bears logo mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 22:51:49 GMT

Using the PicToBrick program, I have made a 48X48 studs-out mosaic of the Chicago Bears NFL logo.

Once I had downloaded PicToBrick (and enough auxilliary components to get it to run), I had a lot of fun running random pictures through to see what kind of mosaic the program would generate. I thought that I would find some small square image with not too many colors and run it through PicToBrick so that I could actually build a mosaic instead of just staring at instructions for them on a computer screen. For starters I wanted to do one that would fit onto a 48X48 baseplate.

Being a Bears fan and knowing that I’d be going up to BrickWorld in Chicago in June, I thought that a mosaic of the Bears logo would be perfect. Another plus for the Bears logo choice is that it fits nicely into a square perimiter. I found a Bears logo image and brightened it a little.

Orange and white are easy enough to come by, but enough dark blue for a 48X48 version of the Bears logo would be pretty expensive. Since the logo’s blue is such a dark blue, I opted to use black instead. PicToBrick generated this instruction image:

Now that I had full instructions for a creation that was only 1 layer of bricks and only 3 colors, it wasn’t long before I had the completed mosaic:

I almost feel like a fraud by claiming to have built this “MOC” when I really only followed instructions similar to how you’d build an official LEGO set. But anyway, here it is.

Enjoy!

David “Fuzzy” Gregory

Subject:
HoB 2006, one month away
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.houseofbricks, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.loc.us.oh, lugnet.loc.us.mo, lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.ky
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:40:19 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is a friendly reminder that Chicago House of Bricks is rapidly approaching. Come join us May 12-14 in Downer’s Grove, Illinois! Please be sure to register soon if you plan to attend.

Visit our website for more information.

We hope to see you there!

Subject:
House of Bricks, 2006!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.houseofbricks, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.loc.us.oh, lugnet.loc.us.mo, lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.ky
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:02:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Chicago House of Bricks will once again be held in conjunction with To Be Continued! A fine cut of LEGO will be served with savory science-fiction, buttered fantasy, and field-fresh gaming. But the ‘piece de resistance’ will be the fun camaraderie had by all. Come join us May 12-14 in Downer’s Grove, Illinois!

2BeCONtinued brings together fans from all domains. Last years attendees mingled with celebrities, comedians, pirates, artists, and more. This year looks to be just as exciting. Though HoB is held in conjunction with a science fiction convention, all themes are invited to attend (the train layout was a crowd favorite last year).

Visit our website for more information.

We hope to see you there!

Subject:
House of Bricks (May 12 -14, 2006) is Coming Up!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.houseofbricks, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.loc.us.oh, lugnet.loc.us.mo, lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.ky
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:38:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’m very happy to announce that registration for Chicago House of Bricks at To Be CONtinued 5: Legends is now online. Prices and information for registration can be accessed here.

Registration is not exclusive to House of Bricks and will allow attendees access to all areas of the convention. To Be CONtinued 5: Legends is being held at the Doubletree Guest Suites and Conference Center in Downers Grove, which can be seen here. For Dealer information, please click on the Dealers link on the sidebar.

What’s really neat is that the Guest of Honor of this convention is Weta Workshop, the effects facility that was responsible for the visual effects to all of the Lord of the Rings movies and King Kong.

Currently, plans are for a Great Ball Contraption and sci-fi models. Attendees are encouraged to bring models that tie into the movies mentioned above, as there is a nice SPACE to fill!

If you have questions or comments, please post them to lugnet.events.houseofbricks, as others may have similar questions. Questions can also be sent to HoB@2BeCONtinued.com which will forward to me as well as other members of the ToBeCONtinued staff. Please refer to the following list of event coordinators for any specific question.

Joe Meno
Chicago House of Bricks Coordinator

Re: PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:01:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, James Trobaugh wrote:
You can find pictures of most of the store fronts on the LEGO.com site using
the store locator. Of course these pictures are property of LEGO.com but if
you asked nicely they might let you use them for your site....never hurts to
ask.

(Breezes through Lego's pictures http://www.lego.com/legostores/Default.asp?x=x)

Huh, what's the deal with Illinois? They've got "Woodfield, IL" and "Schaumburg,
IL" as two different stores, despite the fact that they point to the same store!
(Woodfield looks like it immediately bounces you to the Schaumburg page).

Interestingly, it doesn't look like they've updated the store locator with the
new stores yet (have they added any other new ones?). I notice that MA's new
Natick store isn't represented-- I think it's been around for... uh... almost a
month and a half now?

DaveE

(FUTting back to general)

Re: PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:48:20 GMT

Mark,

You can find pictures of most of the store fronts on the LEGO.com site using the store locator. Of course these pictures are property of LEGO.com but if you asked nicely they might let you use them for your site....never hurts to ask.

jt

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   Hello everybody!

While I was checking out the newest Lego store in Ontario, CA (ok, getting the opening bricks would be a better term) I thought it would be nice to try to get a basic picture of the front of each Lego store that has issued a store-opening brick to link to on the Lego Store page of my site. Sadly, I can not travel the world to snap pictures of each storefront so I am calling out for help.

This is what I am looking for:
http://www.promobricks.com/img/ontariomillslegostore.jpg

Nothing fancy, just something that shows off the front of the store in an image that can be about that size. Of course - full photo credit would go to you (that pic only has my URL on it because I took the picture).

If you can help me out you can send me mail at my email listed in the header of this post, or on the header of any page on the site. If you do email me please name the email “Lego Store Picture” or something along these lines so I will not miss it. Another option is to reply to this post (of course please set the follow up to reflect the location of the store)

Thank you for any and all help!

Mark P
PromoBricks.com

Re: PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:29:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   While I was checking out the newest Lego store in Ontario, CA (ok, getting the opening bricks would be a better term) I thought it would be nice to try to get a basic picture of the front of each Lego store that has issued a store-opening brick to link to on the Lego Store page of my site. Sadly, I can not travel the world to snap pictures of each storefront so I am calling out for help.

It is probably worth mentioning that some malls do not allow pictures to be taken inside the mall, and even if some malls do allow them, individual stores can still say no. I know this from experience.

Russell

BayLUG/BayLTC

Subject:
PromoBricks.com needs your help! (Pictures of Lego stores)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:20:59 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Chicago House of Bricks 2005 - Castle Awards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.houseofbricks, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:58:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’m pleased to announce that we will be giving away awards (and prizes!) in the following categories for the castle room.

Best Vignette
Best Small Detail
Best Medieval House
Best of Show - Castle

A team of judges will examine all the creations on Sunday morning.

I look forward to seeing you all there and I know we are going to have a blast.

--
Jason Spears
Chicago House of Bricks 2005

Subject:
MichLTC to display at Chicago House of Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.events.houseofbricks, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:37:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

MichLTC is going to setup a 15’x15’ train/town display at the Chicago House of Bricks. Expect to see Larry P’s ATSF Super Chief Project, Jason Spears’ Hotel, Chris Leach’s dark red factory and much more. Hope to see many of you there!

Jason Spears | House of Bricks | BrickCentral | MichLUG | CLB

Subject:
Call for GBC modules - House of Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:53:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

It’s the Great Ball Contraption - LIVE!

You are invited to build modules, or just watch the action, live & in person. We
will be constructing a Great Ball Contraption
<http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/> at the House of Bricks
<http://2becontinued.com/hob/> event at the Chicago Marriott, Schaumburg, on May
6-8. But we need your help - the more modules the better! In order to make this
as smooth as possible, we wanted to put out a formal call for modules. Please
send us an email detailing the information listed below for your module(s) so we
can smoothly assemble the full Contraption for this event. Then just show up at
the event with your creations, and let the good balls roll!

GBC roll call:
1) Module name & builder
2) Size: width & depth (preferably in studs), & height
3) Lift mechanism(s) & output type (continuous or batch output)
4) Preferred input: Continuous? Batch? No preference?
5) Peak throughput: in balls per second, or “bps” (aim for at least 1 bps)
6) Power source: Battery box? RCX? Pneumatic? Other? Do you need access to a
powerstrip?
special abilities or features, or anything else you want to draw attention
towards.

Please feel free to post this information to the forums of your choice, but also
email a copy to <brdavis@iusb.edu> so we can plan for the grand assembly at
House of Bricks. For any questions about the GBC or the module standard, please
take a look at Steve Hassenplug's page listed above.

--
Brian Davis

Subject:
Robotics Competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.org.us.michiana-lug
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:36:37 GMT

Hello,

I am working with the events coordinator of Capricon 26 (Chicago, IL)
http://www.capricon.org/ to plan a robotic challenge event for the February 2006
convention. He has also asjked if I could help find a few people interested in
providing a LEGO Robotics panel. The robotics competition would be something
more along the lines of the Robotica show which once aired on TLC. It would test
the overall capabilities of the robots more than the simple head-to-head style
competition of their annual critter crunch. Although the top two competitors
would face off in a final fight... We are looking at both remote controlled and
autonomous classes.

If you are interested, feel free to email me at white_volg@yahoo.com

The more contestants we can get the better!

Subject:
Chicago LEGO Builders Meeting in Deerfield - Dec 18th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:52:29 GMT

What? It’s just a meeting, an informal gathering of other lego builders/fans/collectors in the Chicago area. People will likely bring creations to share. Past meetings have had lots of lego related conversation, ranging from online buying experiences, to sharing of building techniques, to how to tell your boss that you dig lego bricks. Also one person expressed interest in playing the X-Pod game.

When? The meeting will be on Saturday, December 18th, 2004 from Noon till approx 4 or 5pm.

Where? Beth Weis’ house in Deerfield, IL. Email Tim Courtney or me for the address.

--
Jason Spears
Chicago Lego Builders

Subject:
Chicago LEGO Builders Meeting @ DG Library - Nov 20th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:25:55 GMT

What? This will be a meeting, a chance to get to know other people on the list and other lego fans in the area. Talk about what other things we might want to do as a club, show off creations, and other general lego themed conversation. Everyone is welcome.

When? The meeting will be on Saturday, November 20th, 2004 from 1pm till ~5pm.

Where? Downers Grove Public Library
http://www.downersgrovelibrary.org/
We have a meeting room reserved there. (Seats about twelve.)

--
Jason Spears
Chicago Lego Builders
http://www.chicago-builders.org/

Subject:
Chicago LEGO Builders Meeting @ Downers Grove Public Library
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:16:18 GMT

We have a location now! Sorry about the short notice, we haven’t gotten all the kinks out in our planning system yet.

Who? The Chicago LEGO Builders (CLB). We are a fledgling club, right now looking just to hang out with other lego enthusiasts, sharing building techniques and we will see from there.

What? This will be a meeting, a chance to get to know other people on the list and other lego fans in the area. Talk about what other things we might want to do as a club, show off creations, and other general lego themed conversation.

When? The meeting will be on Saturday, October 16th, 2004 from 1pm till 5pm.

Where? Downers Grove Public Library
http://www.downersgrovelibrary.org/
We have a meeting room reserved there. (Seats about twelve.)

--
Jason Spears
Chicago Lego Builders
http://www.chicago-builders.org/

Subject:
Chicago LEGO Builders Meeting @ Woodridge Public Library
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:35:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

We have a location now!

Who? The Chicago LEGO Builders (CLB). We are a fledgling club, right now looking just to hang out with other lego enthusiasts, sharing building techniques and we will see from there.

What? This will be a meeting, a chance to get to know other people on the list, other lego fans in the area. Talk about what direction we want to take the club, show off creations, and other general lego themed conversation.

When? The meeting will be on Sunday, Septmeber 5th, 2003 from 1pm till 5pm.

Where? Woodridge Public Library
http://www.woodridgelibrary.org/
We will have a meeting room reserved there.

--
Jason Spears
Chicago Lego Builders

Subject:
Chicago LEGO Builders Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.trains.org.niltc
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:05:09 GMT

Who? The Chicago LEGO Builders (CLB). We are a fledgling club, right now looking just to hang out with other lego enthusiasts, sharing building techniques and we will see from there.

What? This will be a meeting, a chance to get to know other people on the list, other lego fans in the area. Talk about what direction we want to take the club, show off creations, and other general lego themed conversation.

When? The meeting will be on Sunday, Septmeber 5th, 2003 from 1pm till maybe 5 or so.

Where? Ah, now that’s a good question. We are still looking for a good place. We could have the meeting at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL. But that isn’t necessarily the ideal location. A person’s house, a room at a public library, local church or community center would be better suited to showing lego creations and conversation without the noise that goes along with a busy mall.

If you have any ideas about a good location and/or can help find one, we would be very appreciative.

--
Jason Spears
Chicago Lego Builders

Subject:
LEGO BBQ - June 26 - Bring Your Own Bricks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi, lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.trains.org.niltc
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:52:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Everyone is invited to a LEGO barbecue next Saturday, June 26, at my house in Wheaton, IL. Bring your models bring some food, and have some fun.

When: Saturday, June 26, 3:00 pm
Where: Tim Courtney’s House (email for directions)
Bring: Everyone who wants to cook on the grill should bring their own meat. Please bring a snack to share. Limited selection of soft drinks at the house, so bring your favorite beverage if you’re so inclined.
Ideas: Some could play BrikWars, we could do some collaborative building project (from my bricks or yours), etc.
Contact: Tim Courtney (email for phone number)

Please RSVP as early as possible. Last minute visitors are welcome, but if you can let me know ahead of time I’d like to have a count sooner than later :-)

-Tim

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact