 Local / United States / Illinois / 358
357  |  359
Subject:
Article on LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Chicago area
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:08:50 GMT

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/lifestyles/1081876,3_5_EL31_LEGOS_S1.article

Block party
Legoland Discovery Center in Schaumburg is first in the US

July 31, 2008

By MIKE DANAHEY Staff Writer
Had Led Zeppelin recorded a song called Whole Lotta Legos instead of Whole Lotta
Love, it would be on Dan Morey's iPod.

Morey, a carpenter by trade and graduate of Nequa Valley High School in
Naperville, is a master builder at the new LEGOLAND Discovery Centre on the
Streets of Woodfield in Schaumburg. He will be busy showing children what they
can create with the plastic blocks.

Morey also will build his own objects of art.

"With it (almost) being football season, I'd like to make a model of Soldier
Field," he said. "I figure it would take about three to four months working by
myself."

The Soldier Field replica would fit nicely in the "Miniland" cityscape of
Chicago, an impressive display of downtown architecture.

Morey's first creation -- a jumbo Chicago-style hot dog (mustard, no ketchup)
made from more than 700 LEGO pieces -- greets guests entering the
30,000-square-foot fun town. To get to the hot dog, guests must pass through a
giant Lego giraffe standing over the doorway of the first indoor amusement park
of its kind in the United States.

It's a LEGO lovers dream.

There is a Hall of Fame with LEGO models of Batman, Darth Vader and characters
from the Harry Potter saga; the Dragon Ride through a castle replete with LEGO
bats, knights, damsels, a chef in shackles and a fire-breathing dragon; a Jungle
Expedition of LEGO animals; and a faux factory where guests learn how LEGOs are
made.

There even is an old man made of LEGOs sleeping on a park bench, a Lego bust of
Albert Einstein and a store selling LEGOs to take home.

The center will change exhibits every three to four months, said attraction
manager Mike Pastor of Joliet, who also said there will be special events for
certain holidays.

Pastor said LEGOLAND also is working to partner with another attraction, the
joust-and-dine Medieval Times, and will offer educational outings for schools.

LEGOLAND has a movie room, too, currently showing Spellbreaker, a 4-D flick
about a medieval blacksmith who, with the aid of his lady, a jester and a
friendly young dragon, saves his land from a band of marshmallow-headed ghost
skeletons. The fourth dimension includes simulated wind, rain, snow and more.

On the center's second floor is the Build and Test area, where children can play
with LEGOs on a speed ramp, on an earthquake table or wherever their
imaginations take them.

It all went over well with Schaumburg's Campanelli YMCA campers, who visited
Friday in advance of today's grand opening.

"I liked the race cars and Batman," said Logan Caro, 6, of Hoffman Estates.

The race cars, Batman and the LEGO version of Chicago topped the list of fellow
campers Rohan Pathak, 9, of Schaumburg, Ajai Rajeev, 9, of Streamwood, Nikolas
Pohlschmidt, 8, of Hoffman Estates, Harshita Kumbham, 8, of Schaumburg, and
Julie Pallas, 8, of Elk Grove Village.

The two "Golden Brick" winners who received a free tour were Claire Strother, 8,
and Garrett Strother, 10, who both enjoyed the jungle area.

"I liked the Indiana Jones," said Garrett.

"And I liked all the animals," said Claire.

Taking it all in, wearing a big smile and a bright red golf shirt, was Joseph
Tiesch of Frankfort, who works at the center as an entertainer.

"I've always been a big LEGO fan," said Tiesch, who studied broadcasting in
college. "When I saw a pamphlet that they were hiring, I applied right away.
What I like about the job is it's great to see kids having such a good time, to
see that they liked LEGOs as much as I did when I was a kid."