 Local / United States / Iowa / *72 (-20)
Subject:
FOTM - WalMart good luck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:26:37 GMT

Hi all,

Stopped by the Knoxville Walmart this morning.  I have a bit of a story to
tell...

I've been watching a pile of MTT's ever since Walmart started clearancing
things.  Until today, none of them moved.  They were priced at $30.  I
walked in this morning to check on them, and the toy section people were
putting all the clearance items on rolling racks.  I asked what they were
going to do with them (for fear they were sending them back to a warehouse
or something), and found out that in 5 minutes, they would be clearancing
everything even further.

After wading thru a slew of "clearance moms", I got my hands on:

3 MTT's for $15.
1 Watto's Junkyard for $15.
1 Excavation Searcher for $15.
1 T-Rex Transport for $15.

So if any of you local fellas want to give it a try, there was still several
MTT's, a whole ton of soccer stuff, Adventurers Dino sets, and some other
goodies.  For those who don't know, Walmart is just off 92/5 on 14.

-Chris

Re: 6th grade students use Mindstorms at ISU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.robotics.edu
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:46:53 GMT

"Xcalabur" <Xcalabur@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
Hi all,

Watching my local news this morning (WHOTV, Channel 13 for you local guys)
and saw a bit on 6th grade students from around the state going to ISU in
Ames and competing in a Mindstorms competition.  Each team had to build
robots to accomplish certain tasks, such as dumping bricks into • containers,
shooting baskets, and rescuing "scientists" (Arctic figs).

-Chris

Sounds like the latest FLL (First Lego League) competition - Arctic Impact:

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/

-Rob.

Subject:
6th grade students use Mindstorms at ISU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:17:47 GMT

Hi all,

Watching my local news this morning (WHOTV, Channel 13 for you local guys)
and saw a bit on 6th grade students from around the state going to ISU in
Ames and competing in a Mindstorms competition.  Each team had to build
robots to accomplish certain tasks, such as dumping bricks into containers,
shooting baskets, and rescuing "scientists" (Arctic figs).

-Chris

Subject:
ShopKo Clearance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:25:40 GMT

My local ShopKo (Burlington, IA) has the soccer bus marked down to
$3 each. I bought five. :-)

You may want to check a store near you.

Re: Shell Promo sets question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:12:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Richard Wright writes:

Howdy,

...On recent trips to Oakland California, Albany Oregon and here in Boise • Idaho,
I spotted the kits at Shell stations.

Hope that helps!

Richard

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear they haven't vanished yet. I used to live in Corvallis, a few
minutes from Albany, but unfortunately it's about 2000 miles from me here in
Southeastern Iowa.

Brian

Re: Shell Promo sets question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:09:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Bryan Kinkel writes:
Brian,
These have not been made available yet in the midwest or east coast areas
yet. For more information check out the threads in the lugnet.promo
newsgroup.

Bryan

I had been watching that group and hadn't heard them mentioned lately, which is
why I asked. I seem to recall some people spotting them in Michigan, which is
Midwestern-ish, but even further away from me than the Quad Cities. :-)

Brian

Re: Shell Promo sets question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:41:20 GMT

Howdy,

...On recent trips to Oakland California, Albany Oregon and here in Boise Idaho,
I spotted the kits at Shell stations.

Hope that helps!

Richard

Brian Bacher wrote:

Are they still around anywhere? I'm specifically looking for the "Quick-Stop"

type sets, 1252-1256 in the lugnet database.
Link:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=1252-1256

I'd rather not make a wasted trip if I don't have to. :-)

   Thanks!

   Brian

Re: Shell Promo sets question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:24:30 GMT

Brian,
These have not been made available yet in the midwest or east coast areas
yet. For more information check out the threads in the lugnet.promo
newsgroup.

Bryan

"Brian Bacher" <aethereal@lisco.com> wrote in message

Does anyone know if the Shell promo sets are available at any of the Shell
stations in the Quad cities area? Or at the Galesburg, IL station that
shell.com lists?

Are they still around anywhere? I'm specifically looking for the • "Quick-Stop"
type sets, 1252-1256 in the lugnet database.
Link:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=1252-1256

I'd rather not make a wasted trip if I don't have to. :-)

   Thanks!

   Brian

Subject:
Shell Promo sets question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.il.rmd, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:02:24 GMT

Does anyone know if the Shell promo sets are available at any of the Shell
stations in the Quad cities area? Or at the Galesburg, IL station that
shell.com lists?

Are they still around anywhere? I'm specifically looking for the "Quick-Stop"
type sets, 1252-1256 in the lugnet database.
Link:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=1252-1256

I'd rather not make a wasted trip if I don't have to. :-)

   Thanks!

   Brian

Subject:
Shell Promo sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.il.rmd
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:26:39 GMT

Does anyone know if the Shell promo sets are available at any of the Shell
stations in the Quad cities area? Or at the Galesburg, IL station that
shell.com lists?

I'd rather not make a wasted trip if I don't have to. :-)

Thanks!

Brian

Subject:
More 2001 LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:42:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey, everybody, I was checking out Des Moines' TRU's and found 2001 sets.

They had all Life on Mars, excluding 7317 , the big one.  They also had all
of the expansion LEGO Studios stuff, excluding 1353.

I bought Mono Jet, 7310 and Stunt Man Catapult, 1356

Movie Backdrop Studio was overpriced, at $60 USD for 209 pcs.
Explosion Studios was $35 USD
Car Stunt Studio was not there
Dino Head Attack was $10 USD
Temple of Gloom was $7 USD
Stunt Man Catapult was $4 USD
Cameraman was $4 USD

Note: 1351 did include motor.

No prices available for Life On Mars.

Please see lugnet.reviews for a review of 7310, since 1356 has already been
reviewed.

Kevin

Re: Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 18:10:12 GMT

Are there any pictures?

I haven't been able to find any...
-Chris

Re: Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Frank Filz writes:

5th Headline down.  Pretty cool...there was heavy use of robotics on the
holes, for motion and obstacles, and one hole that the instructors built
was a large clock castle, with what I think was a big axe as the pendulum

Do you have a pointer to the actual article? The news has already
changed.

http://www.iastate.edu/news/today/2000/oct/oct2.html

    Dave!

They musta decided since it was on the news, it was important...5th place to
1st place in 10 hours. :-)
-Chris

Are there any pictures?

Re: Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:58:36 GMT

Xcalabur at Xcalabur@rocketmail.com wrote:

I was watching my local news, and a bit came on about a golf course made of
Lego at ISU...so I did a search, and found:

http://www.iastate.edu/news/today/today.html

5th Headline down.  Pretty cool...there was heavy use of robotics on the
holes, for motion and obstacles, and one hole that the instructors built was a
large clock castle, with what I think was a big axe as the pendulum.  And,
somewhat sadistic, but they used Duplo bricks and people to line the
holes...somewhat funny watching the ball make 6 of those little legless guys
go flying through the air. <evil grin>  If anyone who reads here attends ISU,
or knows more, speak up and let some more info be heard!

-Chris

Please FUT appropriately

Um.. pictures?

~M
--
Mark's Lego Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego

Re: Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:42:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Frank Filz writes:

5th Headline down.  Pretty cool...there was heavy use of robotics on the
holes, for motion and obstacles, and one hole that the instructors built
was a large clock castle, with what I think was a big axe as the pendulum

Do you have a pointer to the actual article? The news has already
changed.

http://www.iastate.edu/news/today/2000/oct/oct2.html

    Dave!

They musta decided since it was on the news, it was important...5th place to
1st place in 10 hours. :-)
-Chris

Re: Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Frank Filz writes:

5th Headline down.  Pretty cool...there was heavy use of robotics on the
holes, for motion and obstacles, and one hole that the instructors built
was a large clock castle, with what I think was a big axe as the pendulum

Do you have a pointer to the actual article? The news has already
changed.

  http://www.iastate.edu/news/today/2000/oct/oct2.html

     Dave!

Re: Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:13:17 GMT

Xcalabur wrote:

I was watching my local news, and a bit came on about a golf course made of
Lego at ISU...so I did a search, and found:

http://www.iastate.edu/news/today/today.html

5th Headline down.  Pretty cool...there was heavy use of robotics on the
holes, for motion and obstacles, and one hole that the instructors built was a
large clock castle, with what I think was a big axe as the pendulum.  And,
somewhat sadistic, but they used Duplo bricks and people to line the
holes...somewhat funny watching the ball make 6 of those little legless guys
go flying through the air. <evil grin>  If anyone who reads here attends ISU,
or knows more, speak up and let some more info be heard!

Do you have a pointer to the actual article? The news has already
changed.

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Subject:
Iowa State students make a Lego golf course
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:23:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I was watching my local news, and a bit came on about a golf course made of
Lego at ISU...so I did a search, and found:

http://www.iastate.edu/news/today/today.html

5th Headline down.  Pretty cool...there was heavy use of robotics on the
holes, for motion and obstacles, and one hole that the instructors built was a
large clock castle, with what I think was a big axe as the pendulum.  And,
somewhat sadistic, but they used Duplo bricks and people to line the
holes...somewhat funny watching the ball make 6 of those little legless guys
go flying through the air. <evil grin>  If anyone who reads here attends ISU,
or knows more, speak up and let some more info be heard!

-Chris

Please FUT appropriately

Re: Just an HTML test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ia
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:35:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ia, Chris Maddison writes:
Don't mind this.  It's just an <a href="http://www.lego.com">HTML</a> test.  I
want to see if I'm doing this right.

Hey Chris!

You'd be better off doin' this in lugnet.off-topic.test, where no one will
mind it. :-)

BTW, no need to add the tags - lugnet does it automajickally.

HTH,
-Shiri

Subject:
Just an HTML test