 Local / United States / *13554 (-20)
Re: Cactus Brick Display at Tucson Toy Train Meet and Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.az
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Nate Jacobs wrote:
   Cactus Brick displayed this weekend at the Tucson Toy Train Meet and Show. Here are some pictures of the layout.

First post here in seven years. I saw Ahui Herrera’s post and Dave’s reply so I thought I would add add something to LUGNET again after all these years.

-Nate

And it’s appreciated!

Love the pics! I’m getting ‘show withdraw’ ‘cause I haven’t done a show since BrickFete last July so I’m kinda really missing hanging out amongst fantastic builds!

Thanks for satiating my need for beautiful displays!

Take care,

Dave K

Subject:
Cactus Brick Display at Tucson Toy Train Meet and Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.az
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 04:46:24 GMT

Cactus Brick displayed this weekend at the Tucson Toy Train Meet and Show. Here are some pictures of the layout.

First post here in seven years. I saw Ahui Herrera’s post and Dave’s reply so I thought I would add add something to LUGNET again after all these years.

-Nate

Re: Does anyone know of Discounted Legoland Tickets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.us.fl
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:00:08 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
Hi those of you who still lurk on Lugnet..

We will be visiting LEGOLAND Florida during the middle of January for 1 day, And
I remember hearing about a Buy an adult ticket get a kids ticket free
deal/coupon years ago. Does anyone know if that still exists? Or does anyone
know of any other deals Besides CAA/AAA discounts.

Jeff VW

Posting to my own post...

<https://secure4.gatewayticketing.com/legolandflorida/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=mcdonalds&C=mcdonalds>

I found my answer on retailmenot.com

Jeff VW

Subject:
Does anyone know of Discounted Legoland Tickets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.us.fl
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:54:08 GMT

Hi those of you who still lurk on Lugnet..

We will be visiting LEGOLAND Florida during the middle of January for 1 day, And
I remember hearing about a Buy an adult ticket get a kids ticket free
deal/coupon years ago. Does anyone know if that still exists? Or does anyone
know of any other deals Besides CAA/AAA discounts.

Jeff VW

Re: Video of B&O Museum Holiday Festival of Trains Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2012 17:45:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bob Hayes wrote:
WamaLTC was at the B&O Museum in Baltimore November 23rd through the 25th, 2012.
Here is some video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2e0TLGiys

My 3 yr old had to watch this video 5 times in a row yesterday.

It's an awesome vid!

Nice layouts!

Dave K

Subject:
Video of B&O Museum Holiday Festival of Trains Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:19:48 GMT

WamaLTC was at the B&O Museum in Baltimore November 23rd through the 25th, 2012.
Here is some video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2e0TLGiys

Subject:
TRU Bricktober Minifig Series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2012 03:18:49 GMT

Got them all!

AC

Subject:
BrickCon Session Deadline 9/15 (And Virtual LEGO Room Tour Deadline)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.loc.us.ca
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 02:26:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The BrickCon 2012 Presentation/Session/Activity schedule is being
finalized this weekend before the program goes to press, so if you'd like
to give a talk/moderate a roundtable/run an activity I need a title,
description, and requirements by September 15, this Saturday.

Also due this Saturday are Audio/Visual stuff associated with a
presentation (such as PowerPoint presentations, videos, or projected
images) which need to go to Nicole, our AV master.  Contact me for her
e-mail.

Relatedly, the Virtual LEGO Room Tour, hosted by Carlyle Livingston, will
be returning to BrickCon this year.
        http://news.lugnet.com/events/nwbrickcon/?n=419
Basically, this will be a roundtable where people bring pictures of their
Lego storage/build/sorting areas and do a show and tell.  Since
those are projected images they will also need to be taken and sent to
Nicole by the end of Saturday.

BrickCon is an annual adult Lego fan convention and exhibition in Seattle
since 2002.  BrickCon 2012 will be October 4, 5, 6, and 7 at the Seattle
Center Exhibition Hall and Northwest Rooms
        http://www.brickcon.org/builders

--
Thomas Garrison

Subject:
FREE China Service for 8 with a purchase of LEGO DVD (Michigan residents only)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mi
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:57:08 GMT

OK.... this is going to be the strangest LEGO offer ever on LUGNET...

I have four 8 settings dinner service that I've been wanting to sell.  They're
too heavy to ship to sell on EBAY... and the folks in North Carolina
(Replacements Ltd.) only offer $2 per piece for everything that you want to sell
them... whether it's expensive Royal Doulton China or anything.  The bother of
packing this and shipping it to the Replacements Ltd. folks isn't worth the
bother.

So I'm offering a china place setting for 8 (8 cups, 8 saucers, 8 salad plates,
8 soup bowls, 8 dinner plates, a sugar & creamer, and a large vegetable serving
bowl) plus 5 extra serving pieces...  ALL FOR FREE... to any Michigan resident
who buys one of my LEGO DVD downloads... for $29.95 total.  That's something
like 55 cents per piece for this UNUSED china.

It's a Nautical pattern (great for Michigan) that shows the Compass Rose (as
seen on all modern and historical maps), and the cups, sugar & creamer all have
a similar almost Art Deco design.

Here's the pattern (and yes the sugar and creamer are selling at $17.95 each)...
http://search.replacements.com/texis/search?mode=&opts=&pr=Meta_20120806&dropXSL=html&prox=page&rorder=500&rprox=500&rdfreq=0&rwfreq=0&rlead=1000&rdepth=0&sufs=1&order=ClientCount-d&query=Victoria+%26+Beale+Montana&submit=Submit

This is at least a $200-$300 service... (these are UNUSED).  But these were
bought long ago for a Heslop store closeout... and I'm tired of them taking up
so much space.

The catch is... you have to come to my house in St. Clair Shores MI to pick them
up, and then I will send you the LEGO DVD download.

All for $29.95.

Also, I'll include Windsor Ontario (and environs) to the geography extent.

The only prices I have besides the sugar and creamer are these 2 pieces...
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/VBEMON.htm#2188184

And if you want to buy 2 or 3 or all 4 settings of 8... help yourself...  I may
have some actual DVDs left over into the mix.

Like I said... this is a strange offer... but since Michigan is a Nautical area,
this service is perfect for a soiree on the quarterdeck of your pleasure craft!
:)

If anyone wants to order...
http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

If by chance you want a DVD... DO NOT pick a selection involving mailing... if
you're going to pick it up... why would you want to pay a mailing charge? :)

Cheers,
Gary

P.S.  I would even include as far away as Toledo... and like I said... if
someone wants to buy a place setting of 16 versus just 8... help your self! :)

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.loc.us.ny.roc, lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, lugnet.loc.us.ny.uti, lugnet.loc.us.ny.bin
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:17:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Ed McGlynn wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I was in the Carosel Mall today and Came across a Small LEGO Store Selling
LEGOS. Apparently they are working together with one of the bookstores. I was
told depending on HOW GOOD things work out and sales they might go for a FULL
FLEDGED STORE!!!! I mentioned LUCNY and told them who I was and mentioned a
LAYOUT. While I expected a little more support Im sure if I talk to the Manager
who wasn't there it would be good....  If we can come up with something I think
we can get more support in the near future!!!

If you get some Time go to the mall and make a Ruckus about the Lego Place. Im
not going to say its any better then Toys R Us but at least we got something to
start with. The two woman there were suprised to know that there was a Lego
Users Group in CNY. This might be a good thing. The thing we have all been
waiting for!

its in the basement floor next to the UP escalators! across from finishline!

ENJOY!!
Wayne

...I'll have to check it out and introduce myself as well, so they know
you're not totally whacked, Wayne!  Grown people playing with LEGO bricks,
indeed - and the buggers have formed a user group?!

That's a pretty good location, I guess.  I've talked to the manager of the
Dawsonville, GA LEGO store there, where they too set up a test run store in
a mall, and have kept it going for a couple of years now.  They had good
visibility in the mall, and they seem to boom around the holidays, of
course.  Nice that we have one locally to support.

Ed

Just to close the loop and dust off an ancient thread...
LUCNY's building the Brand Ribbon and initial retail sets for the launch of the
LEGO Retail store in Eastview Mall, Victor, NY, scheduled for April 6th!

Ed

Subject:
GFLUG at Tampa Train Show - Dec 17-18, 2011
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.org.us.gflug
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 03:31:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

For Immediate Release
Contact: Robin Werner

TAMPA, FLORIDA - The Greater Florida LEGO Users Group (GFLUG) is proud to announce its participation in the Tampa Model Train Show this December 17-18, 2011 at the Florida State Fairgrounds Special Events Center.

The GFLUG all LEGO Gauge train layout will feature our large Downtown Tampa scene with various skyscrapers, buildings, highways, a working drive-in and much more. There will be multiple loops of running LEGO Trains and even more trains on display in the two large working railroad yards. Also, don’t miss the Kids Build and Play area where you can build with thousands of LEGO Bricks!

Show details:

http://www.gserr.com

7th Tampa Model Train Show
December 19 and 20, 2009
Florida State Fairgrounds
Special Events Center
Martin Luther King Boulevard
Tampa, Florida

Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 9am - 5pm
Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 10am - 4pm

There is a admission fee for Adults, kids 12 and under FREE w/adult. Also there is a fee for parking (so carpool with friends)

One dollar off adult coupon: http://www.gserr.com/shows/DiscountCard5.htm

--
Robin Werner
Co-Founder, GFLUG/GFLTC http://www.gflug.org

Subject:
BrickCon Presentation and Sessions Proposals Due by September 7
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.us.id, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.bc
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 01:59:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The deadline to submit proposals for sessions at BrickCon 2011 is Wednesday,
September 7.  Earlier submissions are better and more likely to be scheduled at
a preferred time (for example, not during the scheduled meal breaks 12-1 and
6-7:30 each day).

Sessions already scheduled include a LEGO Ambassador Q&A, a chat with LEGO
designer Pierre Normandin, drafts (sets 7346 and 4182), a film fest, a Dirty
Brickster, the Wacky Race and many more.

Past sessions that no one has yet expressed an interest in running this year
include the Landscaping Roundtable, the Virtual LEGO Room Tour, packaing MOCs,
and others.

If you would like to run a session at BrickCon this year please send a proposal
to Thomas Garrison as soon as possible.  Include a title, a brief description
suitable for inclusion in the program, facilities requirements, and any schedule
limitations.

BrickCon is an annual convention and exhibition for adult fans of LEGO at the
Seattle Center in Seattle,Washington, the first weekend of October. BrickCon
2011 will be September 29--October 2.  Registration is limited to 500, 272 of
whom have already registered.
        http://afol.brickcon.org/content/whos-attending
The cutoff for brick badges and goody bags is September 15.  For more
information, see
        http://afol.brickcon.org/

--
Thomas Garrison

Re: Any AFOLs in the Miami Area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 19:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia, Michael Huffman wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia, John J. Sierra wrote:
   Just sending out a shout out to any fans of LEGO that might be out there in the Florida South Miami area.

my website is: http://www.jjsierra.com

Curious to know if I’m not alone.

Build On - J.J. Sierra

There’s a few Fans of LEGO in Miami; unfortunately, I think they’re mostly teens. They hang out here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/floridalug/

There’s a big group of AFOLs in the Orlando/Tampa area... :)

--Mike.

Thanks for the info Mike.

--JJ

Re: Any AFOLs in the Miami Area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 01:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia, John J. Sierra wrote:
   Just sending out a shout out to any fans of LEGO that might be out there in the Florida South Miami area.

my website is: http://www.jjsierra.com

Curious to know if I’m not alone.

Build On - J.J. Sierra

There’s a few Fans of LEGO in Miami; unfortunately, I think they’re mostly teens. They hang out here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/floridalug/

There’s a big group of AFOLs in the Orlando/Tampa area... :)

--Mike.

Subject:
Any AFOLs in the Miami Area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:24:54 GMT

Just sending out a shout out to any fans of LEGO that might be out there in the Florida South Miami area.

my website is: http://www.jjsierra.com

Curious to know if I’m not alone.

Build On - J.J. Sierra

Subject:
LEGOLAND® Florida Construction Right on Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.us.fl
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:13:24 GMT

LEGOLAND Construction Right on Track

By GARY WHITE
THE LEDGER

Officials say the Winter Haven attraction is set to open in 99 days

WINTER HAVEN - The countdown toward the opening of LEGOLNAD® Florida has passed the 100-day mark.

As of today, just 99 days remain until the attraction’s scheduled first day, Oct. 15, at the former Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven.

Construction is on track, and hiring is in high gear, LEGOLAND Florida spokeswoman Jackie Wallace said Thursday.

“We have construction workers hard at work six days a week,” she said. “Every single day the park looks completely different. Sidewalks are being poured; pavers are being put down. It’s an incredible process.”

Wallace said construction is proceeding in all 10 zones of the park. She said several rides have been fully installed and are now being tested.

Among the rides now in place at the 150-acre property are The Royal Joust, the LEGO Technic Test Track Coaster and the Aquazone Wave Racer. Wallace said tracks are in place for several roller coasters, though the cars have not yet been installed.

About 500 construction contractors work at the LEGOLAND site on a typical day, Wallace said.

In addition, new elements of the park’s showcase, Miniland USA, are arriving each week, Wallace said. Miniland USA will feature miniature replicas of famous buildings and monuments made from millions of Lego bricks. Wallace said much of the New York City section is now in place.

The park has been overwhelmed with applicants for its front-line jobs, Wallace said. LEGOLAND Florida began posting openings for “Model Citizens” on June 1, and Wallace said more than 6,000 people have applied since then.

She said LEGOLAND has so far hired 245 of the approximately 800 front-line workers it plans to add before the opening date. Wallace said new hires will begin training and orientation in mid-August.

LEGOLAND Florida announced Wednesday on its Facebook page that it will offer preview dates for annual pass holders before the grand opening. Wallace said details will come later.

The Facebook announcement also said a free child ticket will be offered for the opening weekend with the purchase of an adult single-day ticket. Quantities of those tickets are limited.

LEGOLAND Florida has generated excitement, but so far that hasn’t yet translated into many reservations, according to one local hotel manager.

Bob Rogers, manager of the Winter Haven Days Inn, said his staff is fielding many inquiries about LEGOLAND. He said guests have plucked up more than 200 LEGOLAND brochures from the hotel’s lobby, yet so far few people have made reservations for the period around Oct. 15.

Days Inn, a partner in LEGOLAND Bed & Brick Preferred Hotel campaign, has a link on the park’s website. Rogers said the link has produced about 50 hits.

“We at the hotel are expecting in August we’re going to see reservations start coming in,” Rogers said.

Mark Jackson, director of Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing, said the agency is gearing up for increased marketing of LEGOLAND. One example, he said, is the agency will soon promote LEGOLAND on billboards along interstates in Florida.

Jackson said his agency is also coordinating with LEGOLAND to bring international travel writers in to tour the park. He said his organization, in conjunction with the University of South Florida Polytechnic, has lined up a First LEGO League robotics competition to be held next May at LEGOLAND.

TheLedger.com

-end of report-

Subject:
Leaning Tower of Pisa made out of LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun, lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 12:51:20 GMT

Architectural Engineering Students Build the Leaning Tower of Pisa

On Wednesday morning, a group of ten engineering students from MSOE put the finishing touches on a five-foot-tall replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa — made entirely out of LEGO. Weighing in at 150 pounds, the tower uses 17,700 individual LEGO pieces.

Led by student Justin Cosgrove, the project began in February and took 90 days and 130 hours to complete. Students said the biggest challenge of their tower was the introduction of the lean itself, which employs a steel and wood truss in the center of the tower for support.

In July, the life-like tower will be transported to Henry Maier Festival Park as part of Festa Italiana’s Piazza di LEGO, a new area on the festival grounds where children of all ages are welcome to participate in a daily LEGO building contest. Student volunteers from MSOE and the American Institute of Architects – Milwaukee will be there to assist the children with their constructions and teach them about what engineers do as a career.

The list of students (not all present at the press conference) that worked on the project are as follows:

Justin Cosgrove – Project Leader – Architectural Engineering Junior
Jessica Phillips – Architectural Engineering Junior
Kyle Welsh – Architectural Engineering Junior
Sam Pekarscik – Architectural Engineering Junior
Elise Pinkerton – Architectural Engineering Junior
Kaylie Lenz – Architectural Engineering Junior
Hunter Day – Electrical Engineering Junior
Marlon Petty – Electrical Engineering Junior
Jessica Iverson – Architectural Engineering Junior
Adam Jablonski – Architectural Engineering Freshman

Milwaukee School of Engineering MSOE

TCD photo assistant Nickolas Nikolic was at the Kern Center while these talented students carefully applied the final pieces. Check out the photo gallery on Flickr.com

Thirdcoastdigest.com

-end of report-

Subject:
Leaning Tower of Pisa out made of LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun, lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 12:49:59 GMT

[...]

Subject:
LEGOLAND® Florida Announces Opening Date
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.us.fl
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 13:21:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGOLAND® Florida Announces Opening Date

World’s Largest LEGOLAND Park Will Debut Saturday, October 15, 2011

May 23, 2011 (Business Wire) — To the delight of youngsters everywhere, LEGOLAND® Florida today revealed its official opening date: Saturday, October 15, 2011.

Inspired by America’s love affair with all things LEGO®, the new 150-acre theme park will cater to kids ages 2 to 12 with more than 50 “pink-knuckle” rides – from roller coasters to race cars – as well as family focused shows and attractions.

Park officials disclosed the date, a closely guarded secret since the park broke ground last year, to help families already planning vacations in the fall.

“I’d estimate 80 percent of the inquiries we’ve received have been about our opening date,” said LEGOLAND Florida sales manager Todd Andrus. “Guests are all but begging to know the date, so they can book their flights and accommodations, and purchase admission tickets.” The park also unveiled a new online reservations program to make the vacation booking experience even easier. Travelers can now book tickets, accommodations, airlines and rental cars through the LEGOLAND Florida website.

“Planning a family vacation can be daunting, especially for families with very young children,” said Andrus, a father and frequent traveler. “Packing alone is enough to overwhelm even the most organized parents. That’s why we designed our online system to be both user-friendly and convenient, allowing parents to book the essentials and then print out everything they’ll need right at home.”

The other key benefit of the program, Andrus explained, is that it features 13 preferred hotels in Central Florida that are officially endorsed by the park. Part of the “Bed & Brick” program, the hotels are all family friendly and collectively provide a range of price points and assets to accommodate different styles and budgets. Each of the hotels in the program will offer special rates and ticket/room packages.

For more information:
www.LEGOLAND.com
Facebook.com/LEGOLANDFlorida
Twitter @LEGOLANDFlorida

LEGOLAND® Florida opens October 15, 2011 and will be a 150-acre interactive theme park dedicated to families with children between the ages of 2 and 12. Located midway between Orlando and Tampa, just 45 minutes from either city center, the park features more than 50 rides, shows and attractions. There are currently four other LEGOLAND Parks in the world – LEGOLAND California in Carlsbad, LEGOLAND Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND Deutschland near Günzburg, Germany and LEGOLAND Windsor outside of London. The LEGOLAND theme parks are a part of Merlin Entertainments Group, the second largest attractions operator in the world. For the most current information, log on to www.LEGOLANDFloridaResort.com.

MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment, and has seen the most successful and dynamic growth of any company in the sector over the last five years. Europe’s Number 1 and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 74 attractions, six hotels/two holiday villages in 17 countries and across four continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its 43.6 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and more than 15,000 employees. Merlin Entertainments operates the following attractions – SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, The EDF Energy London Eye, Dungeons, Gardaland, LEGOLAND Discovery Centres, Alton Towers Resort, Warwick Castle, Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, Heide Park, Earth Explorer, Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Wildlife World, Sydney Tower Observatory and Skywalk, Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Encounter Underwater World, Oceanworld Manly and Hamilton Island Koala Gallery. All brands which are distinctive, challenging and innovative – and which have great potential for growth in the future. Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.

Source: Gamutnews

-end of report-

Subject:
A small meet-up to trade Lego Minifigures at the store in Downtown Disney Orlando?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2011 15:07:43 GMT

Would anyone be interested in having a small get-together at the Lego
Imagination Center in Downtown Disney to trade minifigures?

Reading those bumps on the packages is really tough. I wasn't able to get a
complete set of Series 3, but I ended up with a few duplicates. I'm not even
going to bother trying to read the bumps for Series 4.

A trading get-together would be fun. :-) Besides, the newly-renovated store is
beautiful, and has some truly amazing new Lego statues.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact