 Licensed / Batman / 15

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:25:20 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Richie Dulin wrote:

   I know Arkham Asylum isn’t a standard mental health care facility by any reasonable measure, but the attic torture room seems to be a bit much. In fact, the guards getting the whip and the chainsaw ready, while the Riddler lies helplessly on the electroshock table, reminds me of some of the Abu Graib pictures.

Aren’t torture chambers generally located in the basement? I reckon it’s the Lobotomy Ward. That’s much more jolly.

   I may be taking this the wrong way, but I think this image seriously detracts from this set, and it’s not something I would feel comfortable allowing children to see (yes, I know they’ll see worse on TV).

Batman as a theme in general touches on some pretty dark themes that probably aren’t appropriate for children. I’ve often wondered how toy companies in general can justifiably market products aimed at children based on movies with a clear MA rating (or even PG13) eg. Revenge of the Sith, Batman Begins, Spiderman 3 etc. Obviously I’ve got outmoded ideas about the principles of toy design.

Allister

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:26:10 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Allister McLaren wrote:
[...]

Reading through this thread I was coming to the same conclusions. I think its the main point. If a film is unsuitable for children then why are toys made of it?

Tim

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:32:41 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Tim David wrote:
[...]

Well, there’s a pollyanna answer and a cynical answer.

Pollyanna: The toys are produced for teenagers and adults who see the film and who still like to collect; they’re only seemingly marketed to children so that the adult buyers feel youthful and invigorated by their purchases.

Cynical: Because they don’t care who sees the film or buys the merchandise, as long as it rakes in a ton of cash.

Sadly, I think that the latter view is more in line with reality...

Dave!

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:04:17 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.licensed.batman, Tim David wrote:
   If a film is unsuitable for children then why are toys made of it?

Well, there’s a pollyanna answer and a cynical answer.

Pollyanna: The toys are produced for teenagers and adults who see the film and who still like to collect; they’re only seemingly marketed to children so that the adult buyers feel youthful and invigorated by their purchases.

Cynical: Because they don’t care who sees the film or buys the merchandise, as long as it rakes in a ton of cash.

Sadly, I think that the latter view is more in line with reality...

As a born-again Capitalist, the answer is clear to me, and Dave’s right: it’s all about the money. If somebody can earn money from making toys by tying into a craze, then they’ll do it. Far too many companies look only at the bottom line, and their quality is low, accuracy is nonexistent, and the consumer ultimately unsatisfied.

At least LEGO is picky about its licenses - for example, they won’t do Lord of the Rings since it’s overall too violent for their target audience. Sure, Batman has a violent side, but he’s less bloody than Aragorn scything through Orcs on Pellenor field. Same for Star Wars - the action is heroic and the less savory bits are glossed over.

I guess the bottom line for TLG would be that Batman has a large fan base of young kids, and the violence isn’t necessarily prurient or bloody. Just my guess why LEGO acquired the Batman license.

Kelly

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:02:11 GMT

--snip--

   Batman as a theme in general touches on some pretty dark themes that probably aren’t appropriate for children. I’ve often wondered how toy companies in general can justifiably market products aimed at children based on movies with a clear MA rating (or even PG13) eg. Revenge of the Sith, Batman Begins, Spiderman 3 etc. Obviously I’ve got outmoded ideas about the principles of toy design.

Allister

I don’t think it can be quite so simple though. A lot of films are MA or PG13 (which any child can see if their parents take them IIRC) because of ‘bad language’ or nudity, neither of which are likely to make it to the toy product.

With children’s toys based directly on a single film with an MA rating your argument would stand up but I don’t think LEGO have released anything like this (probably most children’s toy companies wouldn’t because it would be unlikely to profit).

However, if you consider LEGO’s main licenses we have: Batman (most Batman sources are suitable for children eg. 60s tv show, comics, some films), Spiderman 1 and 2 films (PG13 for both films) and Star Wars (I believe these range from G to PG13). In each case there’s a good chance that children from all but the most protected family environments will have seen the films or some related source material.

Tim

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
In lugnet.licensed.batman, Timothy Gould wrote:

I don’t think it can be quite so simple though. A lot of films are MA or PG13 (snip) because of ‘bad language’ or nudity, neither of which are likely to make it to the toy product.

Which can be a bummer IYAM ;-)

Re: Arkham Asylum - A cool set, but a bit disturbing.
lugnet.licensed.batman, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:17:04 GMT

In lugnet.licensed.batman, Timothy Gould wrote:
   However, if you consider LEGO’s main licenses we have: Batman (most Batman sources are suitable for children eg. 60s tv show, comics, some films), Spiderman 1 and 2 films (PG13 for both films) and Star Wars (I believe these range from G to PG13).

Loathing him as I do, I can’t speak for the Spiderman films, but I’d say that the 60’s Batman tv show isn’t suitable for viewing by anyone. Also, in the US the Star Wars films have all received a PG rating with the exception of RotS which stands out as the only PG-13 episode, and one that Lucas himself has specifically said isn’t really intended to be viewed by the full range of ages as the previous five installments were, due to the much darker themes that were necessarily going to be explored with the destruction of the Jedi order and the fall of the Republic. They even had to make some minor tweaks going into the Special Editions (recutting certain scenes so you never actually saw naked-faced human officers and Death Star Troopers getting hit with blaster bolts...though it was perfectly okay when it came to armor-clad Stormtroopers and their more specialized cousins the Snowtroopers and Scout Troopers).