 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1300
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:37:34 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
There's a new TLC press release at:

  http://www.lego.com/info/press.asp

here's the good stuff:

  http://www.lego.com/press/

-Suz

This is excellent news!

I can see an excellent possibility with the release of instructions on-line,
perhaps there will be a 'Buy the parts for this set' button along with each
set's instructions? i.e. they might essentially end up re-releasing old sets?

It all depends on which bricks you will be able to buy, all types or just
traditional ones? It would be great if LEGO could confirm the answer to this.

Ben.

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
How about LEGO stickers?  Will actual ones be available?

Dan
dandman1@concentric.net

In lugnet.lego.direct, Daniel W. Gregg writes:
How about LEGO stickers?  Will actual ones be available?

Dan
dandman1@concentric.net

I can see an excellent possibility with the release of instructions on-line,
perhaps there will be a 'Buy the parts for this set' button along with each
set's instructions? i.e. they might essentially end up re-releasing old sets?

It all depends on which bricks you will be able to buy, all types or just
traditional ones? It would be great if LEGO could confirm the answer to this.

Ben.

If they would even issue PDFs of the stickers so that they were scaled
properly, that would be awesome. I'd print them out myself on the color printer
and use them. The custom generator for the Silver Champion stickers doesn't
work at all: they are not in proportion and the text engine does not work
correctly (text is flipped).

As for being able to buy all of the necessary parts and instructions for
hard-to-find kits, I'm both happy and sad. I'm happy in that great kits like
the Airtech Claw Rig (8868) would be, in essence, available new again at a rate
MUCH less than the currently going price of US$300 on eBay. I'm sad, however
that this will hurt eBay Lego trading of older kits. Personally, I buy to
build, not to collect or for an investment, so I would just as soon buy a
custom kit from Lego S@H for an 8868 at around US$140 than I would buy it
original for US$300 on eBay.

Also, I fear this will actually continue the "juniorization" trend to the
extreme. I see custom pieces going by the wayside, so we might not see an 8880
be available in it's purest form because of the four custom suspension
"buckets" used in the 4WD component (and in no other kits from what I
remember). Lego will either have to pay their model makers to adapt the old
instructions to the currently available elements, or offer "upgrade kits" that
have the additional components necessary to complete an older kit.

- Sean

Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts