 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1456
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
If you do buy sets purely to build with, why does the eBay market getting hurt
make you sad?

eric

I guess, because I attribute my newly re-acquired AFOL status to being able to
get the sets I missed on eBay. Now that I can afford them, I'm glad that eBay
exists, and that people still trade MISB kits.

On the other hand, you're also right, in that I'd rather not go through the
heartache of having to throw away a box for a set (not enough room for the
Legos, let alone the boxes). What will be interesting though, is to see if we
will ever get to a TRUE per-part cost, and if that cost goes down if purchased
in quantity. I'm not talking about bricks or other elements that are easy for
Lego to manufacture: I'm talking about elements from multi-part molds and which
require assembly and/or painting for completion.

So, if in 2002 we get to the point where you can buy the Silver Champion either
as the whole kit or as a collection of custom parts, which will be more
expensive, the 8458 Silver Champion box or the "brown box" version? I have a
sense that the "brown box" version will be more expensive, mostly because Lego
will only be able to scale down to parts bags, not to individual elements
(except in special cases like turntables or other complex parts).

Right now, if you order a Lego Mosaic with a light grey background and only one
"pixel" each of the other four shades (white, grey, dark grey, and black), you
will get several bags of the light grey, but you will get no less than one bag
each of the four one-pixel colors (white, grey, dark grey, and black). This
means that you're getting 89 extra pieces of each of the four colors that you
won't use for the mosaic, right?

So, if you want to buy a "brown box" Silver Champion, you will probably have
many more extra pieces that you won't have in the 8458 Silver Champion kit.
That, by default, will almost surely increase the cost, even though Lego
doesn't have to pay for the expensive box and vacu-formed seperators, etc.

Then again, Lego may again start pre-packaging parts kits specific to older
kits. Who knows. It will be fun to watch...

- Sean