 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1386
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Sean Harrington writes:

As for being able to buy all of the necessary parts and instructions for
hard-to-find kits, I'm both happy and sad. I'm happy in that great kits like
the Airtech Claw Rig (8868) would be, in essence, available new again at a
rate
MUCH less than the currently going price of US$300 on eBay. I'm sad, however
that this will hurt eBay Lego trading of older kits. Personally, I buy to
build, not to collect or for an investment, so I would just as soon buy a
custom kit from Lego S@H for an 8868 at around US$140 than I would buy it
original for US$300 on eBay.

If you do buy sets purely to build with, why does the eBay market getting hurt
make you sad?

I buy sets only to build with, and hurting the eBay market makes me neither
happy nor sad.  The only thing I see in it is that I can finally buy sets and
pieces that I want at a price that cuts out the middleman, and therefore is as
inexpensive as possible.  Especially considering that I would theoretically be
able to design a "set" that had only the pieces in it that I wanted/needed,
elminating the need to buy a large set for a handful of pieces.

And I'll let you in on a secret:  Collectors will always find something to
collect.  Let's say I want a Metroliner and a Club car (which, at times, I
have- but not at current prices).  In this Utopia we're all imagining is
coming, I can go online and "create" the Metroliner, and buy it from LEGO.  But
I won't get the box, or the original instructions, or anything.  And that is
what the collectors will go after, leaving people who just want the bricks for
building, like you and me, to just buy the bricks.  It will create two totally
seperate markets, instead of one shared one.

eric