 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1455
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:44:15 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

And I seriously doubt
that TLC will make parts that no longer have a working mold (large spoked wheels,
older classic windows, etc).

I've seen this argument before, but I want hard data to back it up.

We've all heard the bit about worn molds being cast into new build foundations to
make sure noone can use them - not COMPLETELY true, as Lego displays a few molds here
and there.

The thing people are missing here is, do they scrap UNUSED molds?  I doubt it, as
they might decide to use the piece again in the future.

Case in point - garage door slotted bricks.  The 1x14s are in a Ninja and Space Port
set, the 1x2s are in some castle sets.

I'm drooling over the thought that they have the slat molds in a vault somewhere,
just needing a reason to crack them out (Bulk Garage Doors!  DO IT!).

Who's to say they DON'T have the molds for large spoked wheels in storage, if they
didn't wear out before they stopped production of them for sets?