 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1433
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:41:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tom Stangl writes:
Just keep a good watch on ebay, especially ebay.de.

I managed to pick up a Metroliner, Club Car, 4539, extra circle of track, 10
extra
straight track sections, and 2 track switches.  No boxes, but all
instructions.

Cost?  $160 SHIPPED from Germany to the US.  This was only about 2 months ago.

Well.  Certainly that is a good thing for you, but it's also an exceedingly
rare occurance.

It also kinda misses the point of what I was writing, which is not "I want a
Metroliner but don't want to pay"; rather, it was that with two collector's
markets going after the same items, the prices gets driven up.

I and many other people don't *care* if a set is the "original" set, in boxes
and with instructions and inserts.  I personally only care about getting the
elements and building.

There are people, though, who like to collect sets.

Up until a short time ago, if I decided I needed grey train windows, I was also
competing with set collectors who had decided they wanted the most prized LEGO
set (in some circles).  Now, those of us who just want the elements can buy
them from LEGO Direct, while folks who want to collect the old set can still
buy that- and there are enough of them that it won't *seriously* devalue the
Metroliner set, even if LEGO went so far as to re-release a la the
Metrostation/Retrostation.

eric