 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1432
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:01:23 GMT

Bryan Wong wrote:
Hmm, now that I think about my reasoning, I think I've run into a dead end.
I'm sure a lot of you train fans spent a lot on acquiring train
windows/doors (like your stash of 5542s), but you guys were thrilled when
LEGO Direct made them available in bulk quantities.

Of course interestingly, the colors of doors available have never before
been available, so the value of the existing doors probably has only
dropped a little. Now windows on the other hand, well, grey windows used
to be close to the most rare (or at least most sought after - pink train
windows are the most rare - yes they exist, I have a couple - they came
in some Belville sets). Of course, as soon as I saw the first picture of
the soccer bus, my valuation of train window frames plumeted. Now the
value of clear train glass has plumeted (yup - silly me, have spent up
to $3 per piece of train glass).

I wish for some parts not to be available so that our collections are
unique.  I prefer seeing your train station with 10 rare pieces, and my
castle with 10 rare pieces, rather than clones of your station and my
castle.  I want our creations to remain unique!  I want rare pieces to
remain rare!

I can understand your position, but I can't respect it. I have a dislike
for companies which make a deliberate attempt to make their product rare
when it is something general purpose. The uniqueness in your models will
be the design (any complex design will not be easily duplicated). I also
don't see something luke LEGO bricks as being something to produce truly
unique works of art. If I want a truly unique piece of art, I'll buy
from an artist who doesn't make duplicates.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com