 LEGO Company / 800
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:32:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against. One post per person, I would think would make sense. I would ask that the debate be restricted to other threads, and that all posts be rational, calm, and non-hateful. This will ensure that I can more easily pass along the information, and that the message isn’t bogged down in debate.

Hi,

I am in the camp that likes the new colors, and I think the new light grey may be better than the old. But then, I have a pretty large collection of the old colors, and for what I do with LEGO, it’s all I should need going forward. For me, the new colors are additions, not substitutions. If anything, the problem I have is that, even after buying one or two each of all of the new sets (SW, Racers, and World City), I have less than a handful of bricks and plates to build something with (more on that later.)

That said, I do see this whole situation as a problem for others. First off, how the change affects the general consumer, the non-AFOL crowd. TLC has stated that the reason for this color change is that the new colors are “better”. Normally when a company makes an expensive change for the better, that company does all it can to publicize the switch. If you go down the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store, you will see boxes marked “New Brighter Colors!” Yet TLC has done NOTHING to advertise a switch which is alledgedly better for the consumer. It’s as if TLC is just trying to sneak it by people...why, if it’s such a great improvement? And most of the time people might not notice, chalking it up to just another new color release (of which there have been quite a few in recent years.) The problem is, there are sets out there with history...the movie licenses and the Legends. TLC did a great job designing the Harry Potter line so that the set-piece sets can all be linked into one huge Hogwarts castle. The problem is, those sets use a lot of grey, and the floors are all dark grey...I’m sure kids will notice this summer when their Hogwarts flooring doesn’t match. The same with Chewbacca in the new Millenium Falcon...put him with an old Chewie, and the difference is obvious. I’m sure there are more than a few kids out there who have old Chewies lying around.

You say you haven’t received many complaints from Customer Service. I’m not surprised, as there haven’t been that many opportunities yet...most of the complaints have been from AFOLs who heard about the switch on the Internet, because they are aware there was a switch. Like I said, wait till Harry Potter comes out this summer...if the line sells like it has historically around movie time, I bet you’ll hear about the “problem”. Or maybe not. Here’s a story from my youth: I was 5 when Star Wars came out. From the outset (the Early Bird Special box), my parents were buying action figures for me. The original figures came with black, hard plastic guns. When I was around 9, Kenner had a mail-in offer for an accessory pack that included 5 guns. The new guns were blue (NOT the color from the movies), and apparently a softer plastic. I didn’t tell my mom, and she never called Kenner Customer Service to complain, but I never liked those guns. I was 9 when I noticed this change...definitely in the LEGO target age group. If it’s LEGO, maybe I don’t complain about the new colors...maybe I also don’t ask for more LEGO toys for Christmas and birthdays.

And then there is the Adult Fan crowd, which has different considerations. AFOLs prize the stability of the product over time. That’s seen as both the linkability of the bricks, as well as the color. I realize LEGO wants to make a change...but people get used to certain things, and don’t want a change. We do a lot of things in this world because of history, when a change would be better. For example, Americans have been extremely resistant to changing to the metric system because we aren’t used to it. You usually have to stick with the way things have always been done, unless there is a compelling reason to change...and unless TLC thinks it’s losing a lot of sales because of the old greys and brown, “the new colors are brighter” just doesn’t seem to be a good reason to change. And as you’ve seen from the comments here, you WILL lose sales BECAUSE of the change.

So please, reconsider your color change. Put out products with new colors if you want, but at the very least use the old colors with licenses and Legends and in providing parts packs and Pick-a-Brick.

I’d also like to diverge a little from the topic (as others have) and comment on TLC’s well-publicized “return to core values”. Here’s one fan’s input on what that means:

1. The aforementioned stability. A lot of people know what “Duplo” means...it’s a name that’s been around for years, and it has stuck. A lot of people are used to the old colors. Please change both back.

2. LEGO makes building bricks and building sets. Not games! I don’t know how well your Sports lines are doing, but the shelves are always full of the NBA sets...that’s not a good thing. The great thing about LEGO is that a kid can build the model on the box, play with it, and then take it apart and build something completely different. The problem with the Sports sets is that you can’t really do anything else with them after you get bored of the game (although, I personally love the “skateboard ramp” pieces for the walls of the NBA arena or the Snowboard Super Pipe...but then, I’m an AFOL with a sizable collection, and I have other things in mind for those pieces.) Also, the Orient Adventures are great sets, but they all include pieces for a game...again, people buy LEGO to build, not to play a game. If I don’t buy the largest sets in that line, and only buy the smaller ones, I get game cards I’ll never use...I’d rather have either a cheaper set or more bricks for the money.

3. There’s been a big interest in the AFOL community for the 4400 and 4405 sets, and it’s not because of the regular black and red and blue bricks...it’s the odd, yet interesting, mix of colors and parts that are included as “300 extra”. Problem #1 is, you need to buy a bunch of those sets to get an appreciable amount of those one- and two-count parts. Problem #2 is that the 4405 isn’t even offered for sale in the US (that info comes from LEGO Customer Service), and the 4400 sold out on the Shop@Home website in about a day, has been rather unpredictable to find elsewhere, and sells out quickly when found. My recommendation for LEGO is that you put out more parts/color assortment packs...as others have said, the newer colors like dark red, teal, etc. are great, but it’s tough to get a decent amount. And few people have access to Pick-a-Brick...like you, Jake, I live in the second-most-populous state in the nation, yet the nearest Pick-A-Brick is 1000 miles away. It would be great to be able to order from Shop@Home an assortment of, say, 5 of each uncommon PAB offering, or parts packs similar to the 300 extras from 4400/4405. Include bulk packs of both the old and new greys, and this whole color switch would be easier for some to swallow. Give people choices on what to build with!

4. AFOLs are great champions and ambassadors for the LEGO company, without compensation other than their own enjoyment. We’ve helped customers in the aisles at stores, we give LEGO products as gifts to others in addtion to our own purchases, we give testimony as to the quality of the LEGO product now and over the past years. Unlike others here, I accept the “less than 1% of customers/a few percent of sales” numbers that TLC gives us for AFOL buying activity (I made ballpark estimates, and those numbers seem logical.) But it’s been stated that TLC was pleasantly surprised at how well the ISD did sales-wise (and the Blockade Runner that preceded it)...parents aren’t buying for their kids $200-300 ship models that just sit there. And the influence of AFOLs goes beyond those sales numbers. Take advantage of that loyalty and that knowledge, and maybe consult with some AFOLs about possible future products and changes (with non-disclosure agreements, of course.) I’m sure you’ll get a share of “sky is falling” comments, but you’ll also find some honest criticism...and it would help minimize problems like the color change down the road with your customers.

Thanks for this opportunity to share our opinions!

Doug