 LEGO Company / 799
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:15:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   ... I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against. ... Jake
Jake,

Thanks for asking.

The new colors are fine.

The lost of the old colors is what scares me. Why?

AFOL numbers do not qualify for a product dedicated to us, but up until now the principles of never-ending compatibility have meant that we could tag along with this child’s toy and not have to worry about too much change. But this change hits us with the hard fact that we wish we could ignore ... these are not our toys. This change proves that Lego has it’s eyes focused squarely on the present and future (kids), and that we (AFOL) are the past. This change shows that there is no loyalty for that past, and if there is no loyalty for the past anything can change. One day, I expect to hear about making the bricks easier for young people to pull apart by changing the studs. You can say that this isn’t in the works, but after this, I doubt that the stud will remain constant forever.

So what can I do? Complain, but in the end this is a child’s toy ... not mine. Perhaps one day someone will introduce modeling bricks and elements with as high quality as Lego, but targeted to adults. With an eye toward compatibility not trendy marketeering, then we will have a product of our own.

James ‘Thug’ Rivenbark