 LEGO Company / 778
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:59:53 GMT

First of all Jake let me say thanks for providing us the stage to say what we think despite the fact you know it probably won’t be good things:-(

I am a LEGO fan for the last 23 years I think or so since I got my very first LEGO set and mainly a Castle fan so Gray is bones and skins in most of my LEGO creations. I probably won’t say a lot of new things that others havn’t pointed out already. I haven’t seen the new Gray myself so I can’t pass the judgment and I know that what I’m about to say won’t bring back the old gray.

If you ask anyone from the LEGO community when LEGO stopped being LEGO you’ll get the year 1997. So why 1997? I think the problem is that since 1997 TLC trying too “hard” to do what it can to fit itself with “Modern Times” but lost it’s traditional believes.

It started out with computer games that weren’t really interesting and “in internet days” are available freely and again virtual LEGO is not LEGO. TLC started producing wierd theme lines like Bionicles and Galidor that don’t even got any resemblance to LEGO bricks. You can’t build with those stuff anything creative. When I were little I had this set (744 - basic line). 90% of that set was pure bricks (yellow and black most of them) and a lot of them. The modularity of that set was amazing. You had so many ideas to do with that set, my parents and my grandparents were amazed how a 6 years old could build such an amazing stuff. Nowdays LEGO inventes more and more unique bricks that are usefull for one purpose only. The same with Harry Potter, I mean I know that Harry Potter was a big success but the sets looks really bad and you can hardly make something else decent from them at all.

Another point as some1 noted earlier, a lot of new colors in such a short period of time. I admit that can be a very good thing, but you can’t find simple bricks or plates with those colors, only wierd unique shapes. Most of them don’t even fit for more then one purpose.

Another thing that TLC did the last few years is of course, probably the best toy ever invented for kids and adults as one, they made Mindstorms. Over the last 3 years I’ve seen people made amazing stuff in Lugnet with that “toy”. Looks like TLC stroke gold, and then stalemate, why? Your crew is not brillient enough to develop it further? Hire a new crew that can. Don’t give up the entire theme altogether.

So we are in “Modern Times” 2004, the new millenium, people are more lazy, they want simple, assemble few bricks and shout I finished!!! Thing becomes shinier and brighter, and so is LEGO. A lot of people suggested that bulk parts of the old gray should solve the trick. Well I don’t think it’s the answer since those bulks will be only available on Shop@Home and as we know it does not ship worldwide. I don’t see what’s the problem to keep the old gray in co-exsitence with the new one? 4 shades of Gray can be great, particulary for castles (the same with brown).

Sorry for this long replay.
Yaron “Webrain” Dori