 LEGO Company / 777
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:31:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jake McKee wrote in message ...
But I know that you don't like this answer, so please use this opportunity • (as
well as continuing to direct complaints and feedback through LEGO Customer
Service) as a way to have your voices heard.

Much of what I would say has already been said multiple times, so I won't
bore you with repetition. I think it's a really, really bad idea.

One of my major concerns though, is that I have no way now when I buy LEGO
of knowing what I'm going to get in the way of grey. Apart from the new 2004
sets, where I know I will get the new greys (and even that is not as easy to
tell as one might think, when you're standing in front of the Wal-Mart shelf
trying to remember whether this particular mini came out last year or this
year...).

For everything else, all we know is that at some point, when the old-grey
stock of a particular part runs out, it will come in new grey. If I order 20
light grey plate packs from S@H, will I get 20 old grey, 20 new grey, or a
mixture? I have no way to tell and in practice, nor does the S@H rep taking
my order. When I buy a pre-2004 set off a retail shelf I can't tell whether
it's an old run or a new run. If I buy off eBay, many of the sellers there
are not LEGO-knowledgeable enough to tell the difference (or even know there
IS a difference). Even on Bricklink, less-experienced sellers regularly mess
up color names and you can bet that some of them will mix up the greys too.

This really comes back to LEGO's secrecy around the color change, from not
letting anyone know it was coming, to not advertising it on the set boxes.
If a color change is supposed to be an improvement which will increase
sales, how can it do that unless customers know you've done it? (duh!)

My nightmare is that next they will change white. Please,  no!

One problem for a very small minority, custom kit designers, is trying to
decide whether to even use gray in a kit or not. Will I be able to get the
parts I need in the old OR the new color? Will I have to retire older
designs that use a lot of grey (like this:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-gfac.htm ) because I can't get all the
parts in the same shade of grey?

LEGO has really opened a can of worms here. Not even worms... snakes. Nasty.

Kevin
Farmhouse kit: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-farm.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm