 LEGO Company / 779
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:57:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   It’s only a couple of weeks in the new year, and it looks like it’s going to be an interesting 2004!

SNIP

I’m still very unhappy with the change. My spending had been way up to gather the old colors. Once they are gone most of my money will go to Lego’s newest competitor - the after market.

This was a bad decision at a worse time. As they bemoan profit loss they have shot themselves in the foot. The Santa Fe had to be a profitable venture. It’s brought me and countless others into the hobby. This model would look compleatly absurd in blue grey. If a similar model were released today I would build my own in the old colors instead of buying the set.

They bemoan the cost of licenced lines. They recently bragged about the huge numbers of Hogwarts Castle that had been sold. They haven’t scratched the surface in terms of possible sales. However now on top of the licence cost they have to add the cost of redesigning and repackaging the set inorder to accomadate the color change. No wonder they cant make money.

It’s most interesting that the new Lego stores use warm lighting. As anyone involved in retail knows merchandise sells better under warm lighting as people perceive it as looking better. Inside the Lego store it’s difficult to tell the diffrence between old and new grey even when you know what you are looking for. If blue-grey is so important why don’t they run cool lighting so people can see what they are going to see when they get home.

AFOLs are often quoted as 5%. I don’t know where the number comes from, nor do I know if that means bodies or dollers. In either case the number dosn’t begin to take in to account the goodwill and publicity that Lego often dosn’t do for itself. I find it quite interesting that a company that is crying so much about profit loss while turning it’s back on 5% of it most solid customer base.

Ken