 LEGO Company / 734
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:49:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   It’s only a couple of weeks in the new year, and it looks like it’s going to be an interesting 2004!

I have a request, but before I go any further, let me say that personally, I understand the concerns surrounding the color changes. I know many of you think of me as a marketer here to shill products. I’m an AFOL too with a healthy collection of light and dark gray, so I can understand your concerns.

As both my duty as the Community Development Manager, and as an AFOL, I’m interested in helping to make sure that the LEGO Company fully understands the issues you have as well. I’m looking for your help to deliver the message. To be totally clear, this is me asking in order to have answers ready if and when my colleagues ask.

I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against. One post per person, I would think would make sense. I would ask that the debate be restricted to other threads, and that all posts be rational, calm, and non-hateful. This will ensure that I can more easily pass along the information, and that the message isn’t bogged down in debate.

Please understand that this is simply a fact/feeling/thought finding mission, and does not mean that the decision to change colors is going to be changed. Many of you have asked for the latest status information. There is nothing new to report at this point. The color change is proceeding as planned, and sets are rolling (and have already rolled) off the line with the new colors.

But I know that you don’t like this answer, so please use this opportunity (as well as continuing to direct complaints and feedback through LEGO Customer Service) as a way to have your voices heard.

Again, we are not changing the colors back, and from what I know now, we aren’t considering it. This is an information gathering mission only.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Development Manager
LEGO Community Development

  • Do I like the change in colors? No. I’d like to keep the current color pallet. In fact, I think there are too many color variations as is.

  • Why do I not like the change? As an engineer, I am always concerned with backwards compatibility. Sure the bricks still fit together, but the greys will not match. Overall, I’m not as concerned with the introduction of new colors as I am with the obsolescence of the old colors. The differences in the four shades will actually help me when greebling ships. Four greys are better than two.

  • Do I think the color pallet is too varied? Yes. Why? It wouldn’t be such an issue, except for the distribution of the colors in sets. TLC has trended toward multitudinous colors in sets to make the assembly process easier. While that is a justifiable practice, it makes it difficult for the low-end collector to obtain enough parts in complimentary colors and shapes to build effectively.

  • Will it stop me from buying new sets? No. I’ve been collecting for far to long (25 years) to let what I have collected grow stagnant.
TLC has mentioned the turbulence in the toy market in recent years as a contributing factor to their lack of profitability. Has it ever occured to TLC management that part of that turbulence may be a result of their own decisions? TLC is currently acting like a child with ADHD. They have lost all sense of focus and concentration. As an outsider looking in, my advice to TLC would be to concentrate on fully utilizing the colors and parts currently available to their maximum potential. Pick a direction, simplify and stick with it.

I have less disposable income than I had two years ago. I’m currently concentrating on using the parts in my collection in a more effective manner than on acquiring new sets. It’s cheaper, and I can still come up with new and interesting ideas given the parts I already have. I think of TLC as the über AFOL. With their current reduced financial position, I would think they would want to do the same. Concentrate on using the readily available parts and colors in new and innovative ways for a year, or two, rather than spending that capital on acquiring new colors and engineering new shapes. Maybe then TLC can lay the smack down on MegaBlocks once and for all and enjoy being the 500# building block gorilla.

-Duane