 LEGO Company / 735
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:53:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   It’s only a couple of weeks in the new year, and it looks like it’s going to be an interesting 2004!

I’ll agree on that. It will be a choise between buying or NOT buying any new Lego set :-(

Of cause I had to buy one just to see the colors for myself.

This is my conclusion on the colors:

1. I like the new grey. It is actually more clear in color. But the downside is that it makes the old grey look dusty and ‘old’. But still they are so close that sorting will be a nightmare.

2. I very much dislike the new darkgrey. Perhaps ‘metalic blue’ would be a more accurate name for that one.

3. And even worse the combination between the two grey’s is awfull. The old grey’s matched much better.

4. I tried to be objective in comparing the new grey with other colors. But again they are OFF. Mostly because of the ‘metalic blue’.

This is my conclusion on the change:

1. First of ALL the question WHY come’s to mind. Why change MAJOR colors in the Lego line. Numbers speek for themself. The good source www.peeron.com tells the story of a success of grey. Buy one of ever set and you would have 74914 grey bricks (The second largest amount!!) and 19077 dark grey (the 7th largest). How many YEARS before we have the same amount of different bricks in new grey and metalic blue?

2. It is a clear break on the Lego spirit. Consistensy is broken. The idea of Lego is down the drain. The joy of combining old with new is imposible. You need AFOLs to make Lego a succes NOT marketing guys. The MOST important marketing issue for Lego is that it lasts (nearly) forever and that it does not matter if the bricks are new or old. This is what the LEGO Brand is known for.

3. I feel that I have to warn people that I know about this problem. And many are chocked that the new bricks are different.

4. For now I have bought my first and only ‘new-grey’ set. Bricklink and ebay sellers will benifit from my 2004 purchases not Lego :-( Even that I like the sets I will certainly think twice before starting.

So Jake.... have an interesting 2004. You’re bound to have one.