 LEGO Company / 717
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:42:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi Jake-

I usually do not have a vocal presence on LUGNET, but I feel that this is an excellent opportunity to express an opinion of this change.

I personally don’t mind the new colors as an ADDITION to the existing and ever-growing color palette. A growing and diverse product is good for a growing and diverse market. However, considering that LEGO is REPLACING the old “original” colors is quite, and considerably, unsettling to me.

I still do not fully understand the procedure for replacing the existing grey colors in pre-2004 production sets. Can you elaborate more on this, or point me in the right direction? Will pre-2004 sets that are to continue in the production line get the new colors, yes? If so, I’m discouraged by this notion. Here’s an example of why I am discouraged:

I purchased a 10022 Santa Fe Car Set II for this past Christmas 2003. I only purchased one, however I plan to purchase multiples of this set, and multiples of the 10021 Santa Fe Car Set I.

Will I have mismatched sets? If so, as a consumer, all I can say is...Yikes - Mismatched sets?...Ugh.

Upon discovering the color changes, the Pacific Northwest LEGO Train Club (PNLTC) took several informal (and unbiased) polls at our events, this year, to see what the reaction of the “typical” LEGO consumer would have to say about the color change. I say “typical”, because approximately 60-70% of our audience/spectators are 1) kids who purchase, collect and build with LEGO bricks; and 2) parents/adults who facilitate their own LEGO hobby, or their kids’/relatives’/friends’ LEGO hobby.

The overall reactions from the LEGO enthusiasts, child and adult, were pretty interesting and quite unprecedented:
  • “Why are they (LEGO) changing colors?”

  • “Does this mean that our LEGO bricks will not match the old sets from the new?”

  • “More colors, changing colors?...They already have too many specialty pieces!”

  • “I’ve invested hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars, to find out that greys will not match?”
Etc. Etc.

In summary, the poll results were, unfortunately, overall negative.

Bottom line is that the change has been made, and there is not much we can do about it now. I understand LEGO may have invested a lot of resources to make this change, and financially, it would be irresponsible to go back this soon.

In summary: I personally have a very large and growing LEGO collection, and feel that an ADDITION to the color palette is good. However, I’m very sorry to say that I cannot endorse a color REPLACEMENT to the existing product line.

One question for you is, “Did LEGO not inquire it’s market base consumers (i.e.- kids, parents, AFOLs) about the color change, in order to make the “right” decision?”

Jake, thank you for being so supportive of the AFOL community, and those who are so passionate of the LEGO system, and we certainly appreciate your efforts! I hope all is well in LEGOLAND. :-)

Very Truly Yours,

Jeremy Rear

PNLTC Member Since 1998, LUGNET/RTL Lurker Since 1996

Please Visit: http://www.pnltc.org