 LEGO Company / 716
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:36:55 GMT

I see the new colours that are only slightly different from the old one introduce major headache to all AFOL, and kids. This include the new greys, light yellow and three new oranges.

Say this kid build a plane, and notice the right wing colour is different from the left because a wing piece have a slightly different grey. He may dig deep into his plate (or all grey) bucket for the right piece, and found it 30 minutes later after colour matching all the grey-ish wing plates. Or he may search around a bit, realize it is a major chore after 5 minutes and go back to play video games.

Or let’s say this kid accumulated enough old and new grey and realize he need to sort them separately, he may find that this kind of slow sorting is such a chore he put them all back into the tub and go back to his, you know, video games!

Console games has been taking market share from PC games largely due to ease of use. Why do LEGO want to make bulding MOC significantly more difficult? Yeah the new colours are fine if your customer only put the set together and let it collect dust. But kids and adults now need to go through the chore of colour matching if they want to make MOC through mixed sets, i.e. that “core”, “What will you make?” thing that LEGO say it’s focusing on.

So, LEGO please if you are serious about this “core” thing, stop making new colour in all visible spectrum and focus on things that encourage kids mix sets to build their own creation.