 LEGO Company / 695
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:13:46 GMT

Believe it or not, as outspoken as I sometimes am, this is my very first post on the color issue, here and on other forums. I’ll word it so you’ll be able to directly pass it on to colleagues/Billund.

Dear Lego,

I applaud the fact that you have come out with two new gray colors. Gray is a very neutral color, and used extensively in many of my models. Unfortunately, these colors were not a nice addition, but a replacement as I understand now. In reaching this decision, some important counterproductive issues such decision has may not have been acurately assessed.

When the first light grey was released, this was extatic news. Towns, and in particular landscapes, got a much more real feeling to it. Add the addition of the dark gray, green, brown, and more recently tan, and realistic landscaping was now possible in Lego. This was not possible before, with basic yellow, blue, red, white, and black. The neutrality of brown, greys, green and tan allows for rocks, hills, fields, sand, concrete, etc. 90% of our surroundings exist in grey/brown/green/tan. For years (decades actually), many adults AND kids have embrased these “new” colors with passion, as they greatly add to their creations. These “earthy” tones have become a big pillar of Lego building, for young and old. Visit any show put on by adutls, and feel free to count the grey/brown/green/tan versus the rest, you’ll see the volume of these colors needed to make a layout work.

I can only assume that the person(s) ultimately responsible for doing away with this pillar must have been very ill-informed about the consequences of replacement versus addition strategy for the grey. The newer greys look too metalic to be able to pass for road, concrete, or rock. As time passes, we may get used to them, but if these is any way to keep the “old” grey in production, this should be explored. Even if the basic change is irreversible, I am 99.99% sure that bulk packs of the old grey (mainly basic bricks and plates, noting fancy), will be a long-time best-seller. Even as little as 6 or so different bulk packs (small, medium, and large bricks or plates) would remain top-sellers for quite a while. I am rather sure continuous production of basic bricks and plates in old light and old dark grey would be a wise decision, both socially, and economically. In addition, until there is a significant amount of the newer grey, I have heard from many that projects will be on hold for years. I myself am in need of 50K+ old gray bricks, but with current supply and prices on the aftermarket, I’ll pass. The money reserved for that project has meanwhile been spend on tiles for our kitchen floor (and no, not the 2x2 ones Lego sells).

In summary, release bulk packs, AND convince the market that they will be available for the intermediate-to-long run. If in a few years the demand of these bulk packs diminished, re-evaluate the issue. This abrubt removal of a pillar is a mistake in my opinion.

Paul Janssen