 LEGO Company / 694
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:09:39 GMT

Thanks for asking us for our input. I know it’s pointless, but it allows us to actually tell you about how the color change has affected us.

I have been receiving and purchasing LEGO products for 25 years. I got my first Classic Space set when I was 4. Since then, I have amassed a collection of over 100 sets and 16000 pieces. While not a huge collection, I have always made an effort to acquire some LEGO every year, through thick and thin. I ask for LEGO for every birthday, Xmas, and wedding anniversary (much to the chagrin of my wife, sometimes). Some of my light gray pieces are more yellow than gray now, but still a welcome part of my collection, and still readily matchable with the newer gray pieces.

That being said, I doubt very much whether I will acquire any sets in 2004. It’s just not the same anymore. Nothing’s going to match. In order to increase my collection and my skills as a builder, I will have to resort to the secondary market for pieces.

But it’s not that the new grays look bad. By themselves, they look nice. But if I were to add them to my current collection, it would make all I’ve worked for and built up seem old and dirty. And besides, any pictures I’ve seen of the new dark gray make it look more like a smoke blue, so I could argue that you’ve discontinued any dark gray color altogether.

TLC is in financial trouble. No one wants them to go under. But if they continue to make these inane decisions, there’s nothing that will stop their collapse. Once AFOLs stop buying new and lose confidence in the company and product, I doub’t reinstating the old grays a couple years down the road is going to make them buy anything. What’s to stop TLC form changing again a year or two later?

Use every means at your disposal to get the company to change the color back. From what I understand, you’ve got a 6 month supply of new gray. Let it be the last of it, and create some collector items down the road. I firmly belive TLC’s future depends on a change back to the old, familiar grays.

Thank you for your time.

Michael Bosch