 LEGO Company / 693
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:06:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against. One post per person, I would think would make sense. I would ask that the debate be restricted to other threads, and that all posts be rational, calm, and non-hateful. This will ensure that I can more easily pass along the information, and that the message isn’t bogged down in debate. Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Development Manager
LEGO Community Development

To Jake and the LEGO Company,

I do not mind the color changes. I realize that there are public reasons, which have been stated, and private reasons for the change in colors and I have no negative feelings toward this decision.

I personnally think that those that have a problem with the color change need an education in the processes of major, global companies such as the LEGO Company. There have been many posts on the color issue that have been negative and have resulted in people suggesting that they will not purchase the newer LEGO Products with the new colors. While it is important to note their constructive opinions and reaction, ultimately you should chalk it up as over-reaction to a small matter. Consider it making mountains out of a mole-hill.

My love of the brick harkens back to when there was only 5 colors; black, red, white, yellow, and blue. Some of my original white bricks now appear as a slightly discolored cream or slightly yellow. Part of my understanding is that the change in light and dark gray is to stabilize the color over the life of the brick. When looking at my “yellowed” white brick I fully support this decision since I intend to keep my brick for a long time.

Through the years I have watched the LEGO Company add other colors. I do not think I was ever more excited than when the TAN color arrived in the Egyptian Adventurers Theme (or was it before). A close second to this moment was when I first saw a Pick-A-Brick Wall at LEGO Imagination Center in Orlando, FL. There were colors there that I only dreamed of.

The LEGO Company must make decisions that protect the LEGO Company and their trademark for now and in the future. I understand that this might upset some of us, but ultimately these decisions must be made. I am sorry that not everyone understands this or that they are looking at the LEGO Company through “Rose Colored Glasses” (I guess in this case it would be through “Old Light Grey Color Glasses”), but they will get over it!

And thank you for keeping us aware of stuff going on in the company! I know that is partly your job, but I am trying to think of a single American or International Company that does this for their fans. Certainly no car company does this opting instead for government mandated recalls whenever the problem associated with a vehicle reaches a certain percentage of the vehicles on the road. The LEGO Company is a model (no pun intended) for company relations with the consumers of their products and I for one will be a life-long consumer.

Sincerely and respectfully to all,

Todd