 LEGO Company / 692
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:48:11 GMT

Others have responsed to your post and have expressed similar concerns to
mine far more eloquently than I could, but I would just like to add three
points that sum up my views:

1. The change makes my collection of old grey 'obsolete'. Ignoring Bricklink
for a minute, I can never add to it. If I can't build something with the
parts I have, I will never be able to. New parts will never appear in old
greys. New greys can't be used in the same model as old ones because they
just don't match, and the new make the old look, well, 'old'.

2. The colour shift to the blue end of the spectrum does not look good
against white parts. I have only two 2004 models, one of which is the
Snowspeeder. In this set the dark grey of the guns makes the white wings
look yellowy. Old greys didn't do that because they themselves had yellow
tint. If LEGO are to continue along this route and stick with the new greys,
what will be next? The 'focus group' will be shown two different whites, the
old one and a new whiter-than-white one and I can guess which one they'll
prefer. Before we know it the whole palette will be changed 'for the
better'.

3. There are two constants of LEGO parts that should never be changed to
ensure future and backward compatibility: Brick geometry and colours.  Parts
and themes can come and go, but until now those two constants have remained
unchanged ensuring that sets I buy for my child are compatible with parts
from sets I had as a child.  Now, colours have been changed and
compatability has been lost.

I bought two sets before Christmas to see the colours for myself. By this
time of the year I have usually bought all the new sets, but not this year.
The change has put me right off, and despite some interesting set designs, I
won't be buying any more for the foreseeable future because they just are
not compatible with my existing collection.

Huw