 LEGO Company / 696
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:28:01 GMT

As a child, I was frustrated that dark grey pieces consisted of pick axes, shovels, and castle helmets. Same for green trees and baseplates.

I like color. And in general I prefer cool tones to warm- so I’d say I like the new greys. Will I miss the old greys? Sure, but I’m a color freak. I own the 128 crayon box. I want the new, bigger box with more colors.

In fact, Crayola had a really great color naming/choosing contest several years ago. From what I’ve heard, it was a pretty big hit with the kids. M&M/Mars did the same before introducing blue. A fan chosen color would be very popular.

I understand that with product development, there is more need for designer control. Will the color be useful in future sets? Will it compliment or clash with the existing colors. But like the Blacksmith’s shop, a fan chosen color would increase sales on the basis of collectibility and a sense of connection and familiarity.

Ultimately, I have chose LEGO as my meduim of building and creating because I like the balance of limited pieces and colors with the unimaginable number of combinations. If I really wanted the exact color for a sidewalk, blue jay, or space alien- I’d get out my paints and mix the color, just as if there was a shape not reproducible in LEGO bricks at my chosen scale, I would buy some styrene, and cut, bend, vacu-form, and grind it until I had my shape.

The challenge and excitement is the unlimitied creativity stored inside the plastic bricks of limited shape and color.

Aaron Sneary