 LEGO Company / 678
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:04:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
It's only a couple of weeks in the new year, and it looks like it's going to
be an interesting 2004!

I have a request, but before I go any further, let me say that personally, I
understand the concerns surrounding the color changes. I know many of you
think of me as a marketer here to shill products. I'm an AFOL too with a
healthy collection of light and dark gray, so I can understand your concerns.

As both my duty as the Community Development Manager, and as an AFOL, I'm
interested in helping to make sure that the LEGO Company fully understands
the issues you have as well. I'm looking for your help to deliver the
message. To be totally clear, this is me asking in order to have answers
ready if and when my colleagues ask.

I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings
about the color issue, both for and against. One post per person, I would
think would make sense. I would ask that the debate be restricted to other
threads, and that all posts be rational, calm, and non-hateful. This will
ensure that I can more easily pass along the information, and that the
message isn't bogged down in debate.

Please understand that this is simply a fact/feeling/thought finding mission,
and does not mean that the decision to change colors is going to be changed.
Many of you have asked for the latest status information. There is nothing
new to report at this point. The color change is proceeding as planned, and
sets are rolling (and have already rolled) off the line with the new colors.

But I know that you don't like this answer, so please use this opportunity
(as well as continuing to direct complaints and feedback through LEGO
Customer Service) as a way to have your voices heard.

Again, we are not changing the colors back, and from what I know now, we
aren’t considering it. This is an information gathering mission only.

Thanks in advance for your help!

   Jake-

   Brave man, you, broaching this, and I appreciate it a great deal.
   I made my feelings understood in the informational bit regarding
   the restructuring moves, but I'll put it here again for reference.
   As with so many things, our criticism of this move--vehement though
   it is--is in no way a dislike of LEGO or of you (as you of course
   know).  Rather, we appreciate it and feel that our voices will at
   some level be heard and considered, even if it comes to naught in
   the end.  That is a positive thing, so it's not love or hate--but
   rather a shade of grey (heh) where close friends must be honest
   with their feelings.

   But in short, I fulminate about the color issue because I *live* grey.

   I use a lot of grey.  A *lot* of grey.   Both light and dark greys,
   of which I own somewhere over 500lb of each.  This change affects
   me *dramatically*, where the mismatch is just enough to make large
   constructions look sloppy and "new" condition bricks and plates
   appear old.  It is also not a complementary mismatch; it is as
   though a slight yellow tint is being replaced with a slight blue
   one, instead of a move towards neutral that would be less jarring.
   The result is that I can barely use the new dark grey except in
   very out-of-the-way details on non-dark-grey backgrounds.  Same
   with light grey--on large constructions it's useless outside of
   very carefully circumscribed applications.  Brown will be a whole
   new problem, but as I have not yet seen the new brown, I reserve
   judgement on it.  I do not own nearly as much brown as I own of
   the greys.

   To date I have heard two family complaints--one from my sister, and one
   from my cousin--about the LEGO they have bought for their children
   having a "problem" with the greys. I may be hearing this concern
   because they know how tuned-in I am, but the company may only hear
   a tiny number of these complaints that sound for all the world
   like concerns over LEGO's quality control.  You can tell us until
   you're blue in your faces, but we understand the *quality* has not
   diminished significantly pretty clearly.  The average consumer does
   not; all they'll know is that the new bricks don't match, and that
   *will* do significant damage to public perception.  Again, you may
   hear only rarely any comment made about the color change by the
   average consumer, but please don't think it's gone unnoticed because of
   that.  I have never ever heard a complaint about the color palette
   being too bland from a consumer before; I doubt I will hear anyone
   now saying "wow, the greys are a lot nicer now!" if they say anything
   acknowledging the change overtly.

   The color change has prevented me from investing in any new 2004 sets;
   I now go completely to BrickLink for my buying needs, or I purchase
   older bulk packs and sets.  Although the pieces in the new sets have
   me very excited--the new Millennium Falcon being at the top--the colors
   prevent their use in display quality (or even aesthetically enjoyable)
   castle, building, or large ship MOCs.  As a result, I do not expect to
   be buying any new sets that use the changed colors extensively (well,
   I'll *consider* it at 75% off...)

   In short, I cannot see any positive benefit for LEGO in the color change
   out of those that have been proffered.  I can only conclude that it is a
   reason that has not been shared with us--and perhaps has not even been
   shared with you--that has dictated such a change.  And that saddens me,
   because if it is a move for greater profitability it will backfire
   horribly, damaging customer confidence in the LEGO brand in the process
   --and the crucial role of a senseless change that destroyed the
   chromatic compatibility of existing collections and new sets in that
   disaster may not be realized until it's too late.  The hallmark and
   strength of LEGO has long been the consistency of its lines--is that
   philosophy being once again jettisoned, just as the company is finding
   its feet afresh?

   LEGO, I beseech thee--reconsider this!

   all best

   LFB (The Gigantic Friggin' Ship Guy)