 LEGO Company / 679
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:12:01 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against.

Firstly, I’ll qualify my response by saying I haven’t actaully seen the new colours yet. I expect it’ll be a few more weeks before the ‘04 sets reach our shores.

My concern is that the change to me seems a bit pointless. The pertinent question is ‘why?’, and the answers given so far haven’t really satisfied. In fact in the threads that grew when this issue broke, many valid questions were raised and never answered.

If this colour change is in fact considered to be an improvement by the company, why are they being so secretive about it? If it is an improvement, why leave it as a surprise to the consumer? Why leave them thinking that there’s been a mistake in making the colours instead of it being deliberate.

I find the whole situation quite baffling to be frank.

   Please understand that this is simply a fact/feeling/thought finding mission, and does not mean that the decision to change colors is going to be changed. Many of you have asked for the latest status information. There is nothing new to report at this point. The color change is proceeding as planned, and sets are rolling (and have already rolled) off the line with the new colors.

But I know that you don’t like this answer, so please use this opportunity (as well as continuing to direct complaints and feedback through LEGO Customer Service) as a way to have your voices heard.

You said previously that the change came about as a result of ‘consumer feedback’. My question is: How much negative feedback was there that a change as fundamental as this is not only considered, but actually implemented? Was it comparable to the level of ‘feedback’ arguing against the change here on LUGNET. From what I’ve seen of the group - number of complaints that the greys were ‘muddy’: None - number of complaints about the change: many many. Interpolating that over the general lego buying public makes me wonder what really initiated the change.

Again, we are not changing the colors back, and from what I know now, we aren’t considering it. This is an information gathering mission only.

If it’s a fait acompli, isn’t all this a bit redundant then?

Cheers,

Allister