 LEGO Company / 3854
Re: LEGO Factory / PaB Pricing Study
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 16:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Brian Kelley wrote:

I believe that this is one of the biggest downfalls in the LEGO(R)
Company's organizational structure which is the lack of representation
here in the US.

Huh. Ironicly,my experience (limited though it is) is just the opposite. I'm
involved in some associations where the complaint is the other way around: that
LEGO panders to the US market (a large one to be sure) but doesn't pay nearly as
close attention, or give the same "deals", to the European markets. And, again
from my limited experience, it would seem there's a grain of truth in this.
Witness, for instance, the recent release of a Black NXT... in North America
only (not available to Europeans).

Denmark has always had a stronghold over the US operations in
such a way that the US has not been able to determine what works
best for LEGO(R) in the US.

Umm... it might be expected that Denmark has a significant say in the product,
since, after all, it's a Danish company. They have had things like Samsonite and
Enfield. Have there been similar things in other European countries? South
America? Asia? It would seem to me that North America has been singled out for
special attention and more autonomy than other geographic regoins... not the
reverse.

I have ALWAYS been discouraged by the fact that LEGO(R) US hasn't
had more involvement and participation in the LEGO(R) Company...

Huh. Remembering the "Original Four" AFoL's brought into the Mindstorms project,
they were three Americans and a Canadian. No Danish or French or Germans (other
very big Mindstorms markets, with some amazingly talented builders) in the mix.
Even later variations on the MUP program (MDP, MCP) tend to be heavily biased
towards North America when you look at them.

While they have been successful in running their company we have seen
over the past years a lot of mistakes have been made and clearly if
they have had to close several facilities they are in need of a
restructure here in the US.

Name a US company right now that *isn't* in need of a significant restructuring.
For that matter, name another toy company that has done as well, financially, as
LEGO in the last five years. They may have made "a lot of mistakes"... but from
the standpoint of a successful company, I have trouble seeing them.

--
Brian Davis