 LEGO Company / 3768
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 02:02:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Rob Hendrix wrote:

   Hm.. how much to make metal rails, and then have LEGO-compatible pieces that can snap onto the bottom of the rail?

Scott

An AFOL already made some headway on that one, way back in ‘05.. http://users.erols.com/kennrice/flextrack.htm

Wow. Now, if LEGO did decide to throw 9V a bone, they could manufacture a sleeper like Ken’s modified 2x8 plate, bundle it with the 3rd party connectors and rail stock, and voila - hobbyist track kits!

All things considered, this won’t happen, for a lot of reasons. But an AFOL can dream...

Steve

I am sorry to hear the news, but I am not surprised. There are two things Lego can do to help the transition on those of us with a large investment in the 9v system.

1) the most consumable element in the 9v system is the train motor. But in many cases I suspect it is the electric motor inside that burns out. And the actual electric motor is likely a standard model produced by a third party vendor. So provide us with information on the third party vendor and the motor model so that we can crack open the lego case and replace the motor unit when it burns out.

2) produce a single specialized lego element that would enable flex-track at the right gauge. Like many of the other posters, originally, I had thought of it being a tie or sleeper, similar to:

with the tabs being formed such that it would slip on one of the standard stock of model rail available from hobby suppliers. It would allow us unlimited straight and curve tracks, supporting the 9v line at the cost of producing a single new part (no, I do not envision lego supplying the rail, just that they make the clips compatible with something we could find on our own). With all of the ballasting that clubs do, I suspect it would be relatively easy to build up semi-permanent assemblies for shows.

Thinking further, if we were going to have a single part, it might be nicer to have a 2x2 plate or tile with the clips, and thus, require a conventional 2x8 plate to connect it all together. The logic for 2x2 is that with turntables, we might be able to cobble together complex switches using the stock part. (Alternative sizes might be 1x2 aligned with the rail, 1x3 perpendicular to the rail, or 2x3 perpendicular to the rail)

Back at NMRA 2006, I walked around and spoke with a few of the model railroad track manufacturers. All expressed hesitation to setting up new molds for a new gauge (they would have to make all track geometries). I think it makes more sense for the lego community to provide the sleepers, and the conventional model community to provide the rail. Let each side do what it does best. I think lego could more than break even on the part if sold for $0.10ea (on the order of Ben Fleskes’s estimates). The profit margin on such pieces might not be huge, but they will go far to keeping those customers with a large investment in 9v trains happy and buying more lego. The parts could even be used as detailing on non-train sets.

If the lego group does not want to pursue such specialized parts, they should bring in the top third party producers (such as Ben Fleskes) and coordinate so that the third parties can decide whether or not to proceed without fear that a year later lego will come out with a similar part.

Benn