 LEGO Company / 3698
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:30:37 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Steve Witt wrote:
I'm posting this on behalf of Richard Stollery, head of LEGO Community
Development:

LEGO 9V Train Communication

Billund, Oct. 1st ’07
Dear all,

Many of you are aware of the on-going discussions on the 9V train system. We
would like to thank you all for the input you provided to us directly and
through different channels. Based on critical business decisions and the
consultations and discussions with various AFOLs we have decided to focus on one
single solution in order to avoid the complexity of maintaining two systems in
parallel and in order to solve the issues we have with the actual 9V system and
the remote control City train system. We envision one upgradeable train system
for all ages in the future.

The LEGO Group has considered the future of the 9v at length, and has come to
the conclusion that there is not sufficient demand for the product line to be
profitable and competitive. The existing machines need to be replaced and
minimum order quantities at external suppliers for motors and speed regulators
are so high that the investment The LEGO Group would have to put in, would not
be rational or reasonable compared to sales figures of the existing 9V system.

The implication of this is that the 9v elements sold now are the last of the
remaining stock and subsequent production of elements for the 9V platform has
ceased.

The truth is finally revealed

The LEGO Group will launch elements for a new train system based on the new
electric LEGO Power Functions system in 2009. Using the LEGO Power Functions
system the new train system will benefit from a set of electric elements that
are cross theme, widely available and not completely train specific which allows
us to amortize the development and on going cost across multiple themes. We are
at an early development stage of the new train system and several AFOLs are
already involved in the development process, to ensure that the new system will
accommodate the types of features and functions requested by the AFOL community.
This collaboration with AFOLs is very important to The LEGO Group and we strive
to involve the Adult Fan Community as much as possible.

No matter how much 'AFOL input' there is, it will be the decision of the company
in the end (of course)

Holger Matthes, Germany, currently member of the AFOL team which is involved in
the process of developing the new system explains the situation in this way:

“The LEGO train system has to fulfill different needs for different target
groups in a very special way. On the one hand it’s a toy for kids because it is
easy to set up and because of the playability in the kid’s room, and on the
other hand it is also for AFOLs who build huge LEGO train layouts with realistic
looking train models and functionality. The LEGO Group is aware of this and the
company tries to support both needs within the given restrictions (e.g. costs
for a niche product like the LEGO trains).”

Using the universal LEGO Power Functions system for trains will give The LEGO
Group the ability to match the demands and wishes of the AFOL Train community in
the future.

Steve Barile, USA – President of ILTCO (International LEGO Train Club
Organization) and one of the involved AFOLs says about the new train system:

“I am excited that the new universal Power Functions system can make track side
accessories viable and potentially automated and interactive.”

He continues:

“With the track being exclusively plastic the LEGO Power Functions Train system
has the potential for new and innovative track geometries and continued
innovation by both The LEGO Group and the AFOLs.”

Exclusively plastic track means reliance on batteries, there is no other way
around it. And the motors are guaranteed to be underpowered (similar to the R/C
stuff). Also, battery-operated toys are not taken seriously by the vast majority
of hobbyists.

These AFOL quotes give you an impression of what will be possible with the
future system and we will keep you up to date on the development of the new LEGO
Power Functions train system. We expect to have more information and details to
share with you before the end of the year.

I forsee something akin to the earlier DUPLO Smart bricks which were inserted in
between the rails.

A very successful system indeed.

Richard Stollery, Head of LEGO Community Development

I'm willing to wait and see how this newfangled system turns out, but I'm afraid
that my recent return to the hobby was premature. No wonder I was so angry a
couple years ago -- it's almost as if I foresaw this announcement.

Until further developments are posted, I'm on hiatus.

Sincerely,

Harvey Henkelman (LUGNET member #400)