 LEGO Company / 3718
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:47:55 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Harvey Henkelman wrote:

No matter how much 'AFOL input' there is, it will be
the decision of the company in the end (of course)

Actually... that's kind of a good buisness model I'm told.

And the motors are guaranteed to be underpowered (similar
to the R/C stuff). Also, battery-operated toys are not
taken seriously by the vast majority of hobbyists.

I did want to mention two points here. First, battery-powered motors don't have
to be "underpowered". As an example, the PF XL motor or the NXT motors (several
of us have twisted axles with these under stall or near-stall conditions...
short axles, even). And as to "not taken seriously", well... first, is the goal
to be taken seriously, or to have fun in a hobby? And second, I always have to
giggle a little when somebody says that over in a robitcs forum, until somebody
liek Steve Hassenplug (or others of us) kick robot butt with a "cute little
plastic toy":

http://www.robotroom.com/Jet.html

--
Brian Davis