 LEGO Company / 3717
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:39:01 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Elroy Davis wrote:

If new motors are going to be of the Power Functions variety,
they need to be small enough to fit inside a locomotive, and
have connection points that don't require Technic pins.

The Medium PF motors is 4 studs wide by 6 studs long, and has a 6x2 plate
portion on the bottom (no studs on top). The other motor is called the "XL PF
Motor", which would hopefully imply that somebody within LEGO might have been
*thinking* about a "small" version as well, but if so I've not seen it yet.
Torque-wise, these are fairly powerful (and current-hungry) motors - the "XL"
variety is very similar to the NXT motors in terms of total power, but I'm not
sure I've seen a good measure on the medium one yet (it "feels strong"). The
"XL" motor is studless (and wider), while the PF receiver is 4x4 (and somewhat
tall) with a plate bottom and some studs on top. The battery box however is
currently studless, and big (although you could hide it in a boxcar I think).

Batteries are heavy, and need to be replaced, which
is 90% of the reason that I don't use my RCX, NXT,
and R/C parts more often...

Agreed that weight is a problem. The NXT Li-ion pack is nice weight and
power-wise, but Li-ions (like any battery, but perhaps more so) do age.

--
Brian Davis