 LEGO Company / 2254
Re: UPDATE: New locomotive pricing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:27:40 GMT

Michael Shiels wrote:
Here is my take on the math
USD - 40
in EUR approx 32.40 EUR.
BUT in USA taxes are on top, in Europe, ~25% VAT is included so
Well, if our government would raise the VAT to 25% the current
demostrations would turn into a full-scale revolution...
I have no clue who charges 25% VAT, but here it is 16%.

40.63 EUR would be the VAT INCLUDED PRICE.
Or EUR 37,58 at 16% VAT. Besides, AFAIK, this set is made in Europe, so
there are the shipping costs to the US which have not been taken into
consideration.

SO the price seems to make sense no??
Actually, *this* price does. But it is a big exception.

Take a look at e.g. the prices for the large cups at the Pick-A-Brick
shops. German prices are 86% higher than US ones. And believe me, even
the worst countries in Europe dont have an 86% VAT ;-)

On average, Lego prices in Europe are 35-40% higher than in the US.

Yours, Christian Treczoks