 LEGO Company / 1114
Re: LEGO's Worst Mistake Ever!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:17:07 GMT

Great conspiracy theory, but I think it would be too difficult in practice to get the same amount of each color in each batch of recycled ABS - otherwise you’d have variation in the new colors from batch to batch.

Oh, wait, haven’t we seen that in the purple in the Knight Bus?! You may be on to something!

James Wilson
Dallas, TX

In lugnet.lego, Thomas Stangl wrote:
   I think they’re just refusing to admit that one of the reasons for the color change is that they use recycled ABS now for some grey and black (as noted in various articles on the web). Since they seem to LOVE the color blue (ever notice how much blue is in tubs/buckets? For a couple years, well over half the plates in them were blue), I propose that they found that the recycled dark “grey” was heavily tinted blue, and they decided to pass it off as a choice, rather than something they were forced into by the recycling process. I’m sure it’s cheaper to just spend some time making excuses for the color, rather than spending money on dyes to correct the color shift.

   -- Tom Stangl *http://www.vfaq.com/ *DSM Visual FAQ home *http://www.vfaq.net/ *Prius Visual FAQ Home