 LEGO Company / 1081
Re: LEGO's Worst Mistake Ever!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 04:24:55 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I think they're just refusing to admit that one of the reasons for the color change
is that they use recycled ABS now for some grey and black (as noted in various
articles on the web).  Since they seem to LOVE the color blue (ever notice how much
blue is in tubs/buckets?  For a couple years, well over half the plates in them were
blue), I propose that they found that the recycled dark "grey" was heavily tinted
blue, and they decided to pass it off as a choice, rather than something they were
forced into by the recycling process.  I'm sure it's cheaper to just spend some time
making excuses for the color, rather than spending money on dyes to correct the
color shift.

Purple Dave wrote:

In lugnet.lego, Dan Walker wrote:
As a fan of classic castle I do not like the new colours of gray because they
are too blue, and do not look as realistic as the older greys.  However my
main concern is that they do not match the old pieces.  If they were blueish
all along I don’t think any one would have been bothered by it.

Not necessarily true.  The entire LEGO color pallete leans well towards the warm
side of the spectrum, including colors that you wouldn't immediately think of,
like green and white (this probably has something to do with the fact that
natural ABS is actually beige).  The only colors that I can think of that don't
lean at least a tiny bit in the warm direction are the various blues (not
counting teal/turquoise/aqua/whatever), black, violet, some of the silver
shades, and the new greys.  Consequently, the new greys (esp. dark-grey) look
odd with almost every other color.  And when a color can actually manage to
clash with white, you know something is seriously wrong with it.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/