 Instructions / 463
Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:46:05 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Will Hess wrote:
I like the more cartoonish instructions that Lego
themselves do, with big chunky edge lines. But that's just me.

I totally agree.  In fact that was something I told Will Hess about his recent
6-wide instructions.  I do want to get to that cartoonish look.  I guess I just
have to figure out what options/settings to lower in order to obtain that look,
without sacrificing quality.

Are you referring to the cover page renderings or the actual step
renderings?

I think I was thinking of the cover page renderings (the look and feel of which
I'm still trying to copy).

But in looking at them, and your step renderings, and my high-res and my step
renderings, I realize.... they're all different in some way.

I like the soft warm look of your cover page renderings.  I guess that was the
'cartoon' look I was thinking of, though others might describe it differently.
They have a pleasant feel to them.

Your step renderings seem a bit different though.  Were they processed through
LPub?

My high-res pics tend to look too dark and gloomy for me.  While the detail is
o.k. and the colors are o.k. the model itself doesn't have the 'plastic' look to
it that your cover renderings have.

And my step pictures... well, I'm not thrilled with them, but they're getting
the point across I guess.  If I could, wouldn't mind if they looked more like
the style used in official sets, but I need to do more experimenting to get that
look I think.

I guess in my ideal final version of a model, I'd like both my glam shot and my
instructions to look more or less like your cover shots.  I was really impressed
by those and have set that look as my goal.

Regards,
Allan B.